Chapter Ten: Looking Deeper

Because of the 100+ views for this book, here's a bonus chapter.

Chapter Ten

JAMAL'S PHONE RANG for the fifth time in a row in the past five minutes Jamal was trying to ignore it. He groaned and rolled over, shoving a pillow away from his body, threw the covers back, sat up and look at his phone.

6 missed calls and 10 texts from Hakeem.

Jamal redialed the number.

"Jamal?"

"What fool? Is the house on fire? Are you lost?" Jamal answered Hakeem with a raspy just-woke-up voice that resembled their father's.

"No...but I've been calling you forever and you haven't picked up until now. Why are you sleeping at 3 o'clock in the day? You sick or some'm?" Hakeem questioned, naturally.

"No." Jamal answered yawning. "This better be important. Dad's been working me like crazy and I'm tired. What do you want fool?" Jamal was right. Ever since he started the album in February with his father, Lucious had drilled and worked with him day in and out to finish. The album was actually finished since early April but wanted Jamal to perfect it and have it ready for release before both of their birthdays come December. The only reason why Jamal was home today, was simply because Lucious had to catch up on some of the business at Empire and had a meeting with President Barack Obama.

"Can I come over?"

"No."

"Mal..." Hakeem started to whine.

Jamal groaned. "For what?" Jamal knew if Hakeem came over, Hakeem would talk Jamal to death until he finally went to sleep in the wee hours of the morning, then gripe and groan about going to school until Jamal kick his ass out. He was just like Cookie.

"I need to talk to you."

"What the hell you think you doing now?"

Hakeem started whining again. "But I really want to stay the night."

"You got school. Go do homework."

"You sound like Dre. Come on Mal...you're the fun brother. Lemme come over." Hakeem started to plead.

"No."

"Please big bro? Please, I really got to talk to you."

Jamal sighed into the phone, silently cursing Hakeem out.

"Fine." Jamal said hanging up the phone. Jamal started picking up a few clothes and music off the floor.

Curse Hakeem for his annoyingness.

Curse Dad for working him so hard.

Curse Andre for not being the favorite big brother.

Curse me for constantly giving into Hakeem's keen persuading skills.

Curse-

Jamal heard his doorbell ring. What the hell now?

Jamal went to the door and opened it to find an innocent looking, clean cut, grinning Hakeem Lyon.