~5~

Your first instinct was to kick him right in the groin. You had boots on, it would hurt. You make a major attempt, but his men pin you down. No where to run. No escape. You close your eyes and brace yourself for what would happen next. The ring leader places his face so close to yours, you could feel his hot breath.
     "Daryl," you whisper. You don't know why.
     "A'right, but I won' be savin' yo' ass next time"
     Gunshot. His men had exchanged fire. The ring leader immediately got up to engage in battle. You scan the place for your axe while he was distracted. One of his men was holding it, using it as if it were his own. That scene alone made your blood boil. No one was to touch your axe. It was all you had left. 
     Using all your foot strength, you swing your leg aiming directly for his head. A loud crack. The man dropped the axe in pain and you quickly retrieved it. 
     "Don't touch it ever again," you say and finish him. Those were the last words he ever heard.
     The gunshots were gone. All the men were down. Soon. Soon, they'll become walkers. You notice an arrow, a specific kind, stuck to the head of a man.
     "I said I won' be savin' yo' lil' ass next time"
     Of course it was Daryl. He pulled the arrow from the dead corpse.
     "And I said you won't need to," you reply and he glares at you. Ice. Cold. Blue. Eyes.
     "Wel' I did an'way," he says and continues to give you the stare. 
     You walk up to him and put your forehead against his. It was a bit hard to keep balance since he was a head taller than you, but you didn't seem to mind. You stayed in that position for a while. The feeling came back. This time, stronger. You were touching him. It felt safe, protected.
     "You shouldn't have come," you say. "I could've handled things"
     "But I did," he says.
"But I did"
      He breaks away and you stare at the floor. Blood. The ground was red, blood painted everywhere. Dead people that were once alive. No, still alive. Red. Red.
      As you and Daryl walk out, Michonne comes running. 
     "I heard the gunshots," she says, waiting patiently for one of us to explain.
     "A gang, all guys," you say and she gets the message.
     "Glenn and Maggie found the gas and ammo. I have the food," Michonne says. "Let's go"
     She starts to head off in to the direction of the car. When you start to chase after her, Daryl stops you. You turn to him and cock your head to the side.
     "What woul' you hav' done if I weren' there?"