"I think you skipped the part of life where you're supposed to have fun." Sergio looked at me as he fixed a plate beside me.

"I have fun – had fun. And then you happened." I said.

"And you had so much more fun." He winked at me. I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Please, stop." Sergio and I laughed as Clyde frowned at us.

Everyone else joined us in the dining room and we began eating while we talked, well, I was just watching everyone. I smiled and added to the conversation occasionally, but mostly just took everything in.
I guess I could say I felt a little envious of Sergio. I mean, he was bad. He did bad things. Generally he was a bad person, but before I met him I could have sworn I was good. I helped people and animals all the time, I usually did the right thing, mostly lived the right way. I thought good things happened to good people. Karma. So why could Sergio have dinner with his family and I couldn't?

"So, Alex. How do you know Sergio?" David's head turned to me.

"I..." I looked at Sergio uncertainly.

"He works with us. How did your exams go?" Sergio tried to change the subject.

"I got through. What work?" David pushed.

"Our work. You got through? Why doesn't that sound good?"

"Maybe because it's not music? It went great, Sergio." The brothers chuckled. "I know it's hard to, but do you like this idiot?" David's focus turned back to me.

"David!" his mother smacked his arm as Sergio frowned at him. I laughed actually glad she had distracted him.

"If you can look past his massive ego, his bad attitude and his many, many – many flaws, I'm sure you'll like him."

"David." Sergio frowned after he hissed through his grit teeth at his younger brother. David just stuck his tongue out earning another smack from his mother and I laughed with Kent and Clyde. They were all entertaining to watch, but it was making me feel worse.

"I heard you –" Kent began but Clyde and Sergio's phones simultaneously went off and I think somehow everyone guessed it was work.

"It's Cooper." Clyde said glancing at his phone.

"Ben. They're together, I'll deal with it." Clyde nodded and Sergio answered his phone as he got up.

Everyone casually resumed conversation like this was a usual occurrence but I kept my eyes on the opening that led to the hall. A few seconds later, Sergio walked into view slipping his phone into his pocket.

"We have to go. I'll try to come by tonight." Sergio kissed his mother's cheek and gave David's shoulder a pat while Clyde got up. "Alexander, come."

I nodded getting up confused. I was sure I didn't have anything more to learn, not right now at least. Oh. The party. Crap, they remembered.

Great.

"It was nice meeting you Mrs Marquez, David."

"See you later." She smiled.

"He'll be busy later." Clyde replied.

I nodded in agreement and was shocked when I got pulled into a tight hug by Sergio's mother before David hugged me too.

"Then we'll see you tomorrow." She said. I gave her a smile.

I followed Sergio and Clyde out, a little relieved to be out of there. It was great, but... I don't know. Sometimes the same thing happened when I was with Jordan's family; the only difference is I didn't feel like I should deserve it more than him – with Sergio, I just felt like it was completely unfair. Yes, Jordan's family felt a lot like family to me, but they weren't.