Chapter 30 Last Chapter + Epilogue

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You knew I was going to trick you young one, so why werent you more careful?" he asked with sympathy.

"I never thought you would poison the food!" I snapped angrily.

He let out a twinkling laugh, "I didnt poison the food young one, dont be upset with me, this was a test after all and it was a test you couldnt pass" he told me trying to sound gentle.

I gulped away my disappointment "This is so unfair!" I said more to myself than to him.

Maximus held my shoulder "Listen, dont be so hard on  yourself, after all, who would've thought about the food?" he said trying to cheer me up.

I glared at him again "Whats going to happen now? I wont be able to see my family at all?" I whispered sadly.

"You will, with time when I think you're no threat to other humans" he said.

"Maximus," I breathed "you know Im not threat to other people" I stated.

"Well with this test you didnt prove it" he stated back "Besides to be honest I've had visions of you attacking humans, particularly in your fathers lands" he informed me making me raise an eyebrow "I attack humans? You've had visions of that?" I asked with doubt.

He nodded "Yes, I have" he confirmed making me grow suspicious, what if he was only making this up? How did I know for sure he wasnt making it up? I mean, his visions always changed with an action right?

I looked away again "How....long?" I gulped dreading the answer.

"Well since you did control yourself and you actually refused the cup of blood, I'll lower it down to three years" he said.

I gasped and widened my eyes looking at him "What!? Three years?!" I repeated, my heart and stomach definitely sinking down to the floor!

He nodded sternly "Three years Jade, Im sorry, but thats what I think is the safest" he said.

"Maximus you know that is so unfair!" I hissed.

"Its for the safety of everyone, including yours" he said eyeing me closely.

"But why so much time? Why so long?" my lower lip began to tremble.

"It took Ashton five years to control himself to perfectness Jade, Im giving you only three years" he told me.

"But Im not like Ashton, I can control myself better" I lied biting my lip.

Maximus raised an eyebrow "You know thats not true" he told me looking right through my lie, I knew it, I couldnt control myself like Ashton, if it took him five years then it was definite it would take me longer but yet this still seemed so unfair!

"This isnt fair Maximus! The way you tested me, it wasnt fair!" I accused angrily.

"Do you want to make it five years then?" he asked raising an eyebrow giving me a challenging look.

I gulped and shook my head "No"

"Okay, three years it is then. Go along, I need to call your father and tell him my decision" he said giving me one more gentle squeeze on the shoulder and just like that, he walked away from me so fast I barely saw him leaving.

I stood there a couple of more minutes trying to comprehend all of this, trying to let everything sink in.

I felt numb all over, numb with disbelief.

I laughed humorlessly, that tricky bastard!

Cooking the meat in blood, I actually never thought about it, I never thought about checking the food! Now I understood why Ashton had warned me so much about him.