Part 29

Jordan pulled to a stop in front of her home. Ratchet pulled up next to her and they both turned off their engines. Raf and Miko hurried out to help Jack. The three of them went to the front door. Miko rang the doorbell. A moment later, the door opened and Jordan saw her parents.

"Jack, Miko, Raf," her mom said. "You're back from your trip already? How was it? Where's Jordan?"

"Mrs. Stone," Raf said. "While we were climbing, there was an accident."

"What do you mean?" Mr. Stone demanded.

"Maybe we should sit down," Jack suggested. He led the two to the porch swing. "While we were climbing, Jordan's cable broke and she fell. None of us could grab her in time."

Mrs. Stone's hands went to her mouth.

"So what are you saying, son?" her husband asked.

"Mr. and Mrs. Stone," Miko said gently. "Jordan's gone."

"No," Mrs. Stone gasped, tears streaming down her face.

"Jordan's in the back of the ambulance if you want to see her," Jack said.

The couple followed the three friends over to Ratchet. Jack and Raf opened the back doors and carefully pulled out the stretcher that held Jordan's body. Jordan saw her parents tear up.

"The doctors say you can take her if you wanted," Jack explained.

"Thank you, all," Mr. Stone said, shaking.

Jordan felt sorry for them. If only they knew that their daughter was only a few yards away, what a relief it would be to them. Jordan just wanted to transform so she could embrace her parents, but that would blow her cover and possibly endanger them. She watched sadly as her friends helped her parents carry the stretcher into the house. After the door had closed, Ratchet spoke in a hushed voice in case someone was near the door.

"Are you okay, Jordan?" he asked.

"I'm fine, Ratchet," Jordan replied, her voice the same volume as his. "It's just terrible to see my parents like this. If only they knew."

"It's best if they did not know, Jordan. It will keep them safe from any sort of danger."

"I know."

Minutes later, Miko, Jack, and Raf walked out of the house. Miko and Jack climbed into Jordan's front seats while Raf climbed in back.

"Where to now?" Jack asked.

Jordan started her engine.

"Now we go see my friend, Caroline," she replied, pulling back onto the street with Ratchet following behind her.