16

A/N: Double

They took turns caring about him. A friend of mine was a doctor at a nearby hospital and offered to come and check on the student everyday just to make sure that he didn't loose any more blood which would result in more internal injuries.
Kirstie looked after him in the mornings, changing the bandages and singing for him because she believed it might help. Scott let in some fresh air after lunch and played some music for him because Kirstie wanted him to. Finally Kevin and Luke, the doctor, gave him a shot every evening, providing him with much needed nutrients for his body.
I didn't do anything. I sat in Scott's room all day and stared at the wall. I couldn't bare to see him like that anymore. My friends became something like my personal psychologists. They cared for the student first and then went to the room I was in to talk and sing to me. Maybe it helped, I didn't notice any difference.
The days passed unbelievably fast and I didn't notice that it was already Friday, three days since we've "rescued" him if that's what you could call it. I believe that I had shed far too many tears causing me to become dehydrated. Kirstie decided, without my consent, to remain with me 24/7 and I hated being under surveillance. Later I figured it was the better option because I started to get negative thoughts..

"I'm so sorry.."

"Mitch who are you talking to?"

Those words lingered in my mind, stabbed my heart and made me bleed. Kirstie looked at me as if I had lost my mind and honestly that's what happened. I couldn't stop apologizing..
Laying on the bed I let her play with my hair, my outer appearance didn't matter anymore when my inner self was broken. I needed to know if he was alright.

"Mitch?"

Kevin waited for me at the door, holding out his hand. Hesitantly I pushed myself up and walked towards him, legs hurting with every step.
Don't go! It's too late!
My mind was screaming to me. I shouldn't go, I should stay away from him. Seeing his dying frame would only hurt me more but I couldn't. I didn't want to. I needed to see him. I needed to see him alive and well.
He gently pulled me down the hallway. I met Scott's eyes first, then Luke's. It felt like a walk towards the deathbed... My heart hurt more and more with every inch we left behind. My head started to spin and I signaled Kevin to stop walking and let me regain my senses.
Everyone shot me worried looks, everyone cared about me and although I appreciated the consolation and support I wanted them to leave me alone.
Nodding towards Kevin we took the last steps and he left me alone in front if the door, he let go and stepped behind me.

"Is..is he d-de..?"

"Just go inside."

No.No.No. I didn't want to god damnit!! Why didn't they understand that I didn't want to see the love of my life, laying on the bed with nothing but death inside of him? Why didn't they understand that it would destroy me beyond repair?
I realized that they could never understand. The fact that I was the one who basically caused his last beating, the one who didn't interfere, the one who failed. I didn't make any sense now. I wanted and didn't want to be in that room..

I put my hand on the handle like I've done it three days ago and reflected my last encounter with him. When I left he looked less dead and more alive but I could bet that my mind had played some tricks on me..
Taking in a deep breath I opened the door and shut my eyes at the same time. Opening them would reveal his current state, it would show if he had gotten worse or better. I had asked my friends not to tell me how it was going and if it helped whatever they did to him. I wanted to keep my distance to prepare myself for a potential "breakup". A silly thought I had even though we weren't even together or at least friends. He had stolen my heart ever since I saw him for the first time and I just couldn't let go, no matter how hard I tried to get him out of my head.

My eyes opened and were glued to the ground. I heard heavier breathing which caught my attention immediately. I was in shock although I had expected him to be alive.. or did I expect him to be dead?
My gaze slowly wandered towards the bed and when I saw his emerald green eyes staring at me, his hand above his aching heart and the other one covering his mouth I stopped breathing.

Thans for reading, voting and commenting! ♡

#Yanie