5

Kirstie pulled at my jacket to keep me from going but my curiousity and worry dragged me towards the house. The man was still shouting and screaming at the top of his lungs but we couldn't hear the student. Another smack echoed through the air and Kirstie flinched, hiding behind me as she followed me carefully. She was scared, I was too, but when she saw that I wouldn't just walk away she stayed by my side. We made sure no one saw us when we made our way towards the decrepited building. Being in this neighborhood was dangerous, I've only heard bad things about this place in the news. Daily I would hear that somebody got beaten, robbed, raped or murdered by gangs and others. I thought it was the fault of our government. Sure I liked my home, my own room and car but I hated all of it when I saw under which conditions others had to live.

We were only a few steps away from the dirty window through which shone the only light in the entire house. Kirstie buried her face into the sleeve of my thick jacket because it seemed as if the air got even colder. My heart beat faster and I started to feel sick because of the things the man shouted.
Worthless.
Unreliable.
Trash.
A nobody.
Just a few things we heard him growl and made us flinch, because with every word there was a loud smack. It sounded like a whip and I was terryfied. I really hoped it was not a whip and I really hoped the man was not using it on him. My eyes started to water when I heard a small whimper.

"That's for being late again!"

Smack! Kirsties nails digged through my jacket and her shoulders started to shake. I placed an arm around her and we sneaked closer, taking a look inside through the dirty window. The room was messy, garbage scattered all over the place, leftovers going moldy in the corner. There was only one lamp, hanging from the ceiling like in one of those creepy movies... We could see the man, he was tall and muscular, he frightened me although a wall separated us and I knew Kirstie hated seeing him as well. In his hand was an object I never wanted people to use on other human beings: a belt with a metallic buckle. I gulped hard and forgot how to breath. The student was in there. In the same house as that man...

"You ungreatful little piece of-!"

Smack! I covered my mouth with my shaking hand when I caught a glimpse of him. He was covering his head to protect himself, the fragile boy frightened off in the corner, his back and chest reddened, I could see it through his thin shirt. My lips started to tremble at the sight in front of me. His body was badly bruised, his lip busted open, his eyes sheding endless tears. The man saw that he was crying and lifted his arm again. I looked away. Smack! Why didn't he ran away from there? Why did he go home? When I looked back up I saw blood dribbling from his forearm with which he tried desperately to protect his upper body.

"M-mitch we need to go!"

Kirstie cried, tugging at my jacket and trying to pull me away from the window. I quickly met her eyes and shook my head.

"We can't just leave!"

I could only imagine what would happen to him if we didn't interfere. We could help him but we were mortified by the rifle we had seen on the wall... I sighed and took a deep breath before turning back to see if he was still alive. The man leaned down and grabbed a fistful of his hair, yanking him onto his wobbly legs. He didn't scream, he didn't cry out loud. He just gritted his teeth at the pain and shut his eyes while the older man slapped him across the face, leaving a red mark on it. I could feel the pain on my own cheek and touched mine in shock. Why was the man so violent? What did this poor guy do to be treated like that? The reason he was so skinny, bruised and terryfied was because of this abusive household.

The guy opened his eyes and looked directly into mine. He noticed me spying through the window and his eyes grew wide. The emerald green was shadowed by sadness and hurt. I wanted to run in there and bring him to my home. I wanted to hug his pain away and tell him that he was not worthless, unreliable, trash or a nobody. He was a human being and deserved love and understanding. My body froze when the older man slowly turned his head away from the student and in our direction. He must've noticed that his victim was staring at something. When he caught me I grabbed Kirsties hand and ran with her towards the car, started the engine and sped away. She had no chance to buckle up or close her door entirely. I was already streets away from that house.

I needed to help him.

I needed to get him out of there.

But how?

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting! <3

#Yanie