15

I fell down onto my knees, tears escaping from my eyes. What did he do to deserve that? Why him? My silent sobbing filled the air around me, suffocating me until it was too hard for me to breathe. I let it happen, I let the emotional pain eat me from the inside and stab my heart repeatedly. He was such a beautiful angel, who would want to hurt him? The way he was treated was more than inhuman.

Incomprehensible, unreal.

No words could describe how I felt about it and yet he was the one to go through all of it. I let my hands fall to my sides and hung my head. This was all my fault, no one else's. He couldn't help himself so he needed support and I just gave him some clothes?

Pathetic, useless.

I looked up to him again and took in the marks on his arms. Cigarette burns forming the letters T R A S H. On his right arm an ingraved word which would turn into a scar soon enough and remind him of this day forever: Worthless. I gritted my teeth to the point where my jaw began to hurt and I had to release the tension. This was so unfair...

I traced his body with my eyes. The way he laid there, his chest barely moving, made him appear as if he was no longer with me and I hated thinking about that. Sighing I stood up and sat down on the bed, taking his hand in mine, kissing his scraped knuckles, letting a tear fall on them, keeping my eyes on his face.

"I'm sorry.."

I choked out, repeating the phrase again but it didn't seem to have any meaning anymore. It was just a phrase, he couldn't do anything with those words. He couldn't hear them either way. I caressed his cold hand with my thumb while my other hand reached out to brush back his hair out of his face. The face of an angel, the one I wanted to be with at all times, forever. But would there be a forever? I didn't know.. All those injuries, all those tears could've been prevented.

Who was this student? There was no backstory about him. No one knew anything about him. No name, no age, nothing. I somehow couldn't remember what the older man had called him.. the only information I could use to do some research. This boy was a mystery. Nearly as mysterious as those creatures, living in the imagination of children. I pictured him as an angel, walking with me, hand in hand into the sunset. Sitting down on the grass underneath a tree, watching the sun disappear. His wings around my own tiny frame, keeping me warm and near his body while we turned our attention to one another. Small smiles forming on both our lips, love expressed in our eyes... then a kiss...

All an imagination. None of it would come true, he was too shattered, too broken. I was still hopefull that we could help him but there was only a slight chance that he would recover fully.

My beautiful angel.

You didn't deserve any of this. I placed down his hand and scooted a little forwards until I was hovering over him. Cupping his face I slowly bent down and let our lips touch for a second time. I wanted to savour this moment forever. I didn't know if he would even let me touch him when he would be awake. I didn't know if he would even want to talk to me. I could hear my heart shatter when I thought about it.

I wanted him in my life but maybe he didn't want me...

It was hard for me to accept that but I would keep my distance until he told me that he wanted me as much as I wanted him. Leaning back a little our lips parted and I glanced at him before I stood up and walked out of the door, hugging my shaking frame as silent tears rolled down my cheeks and left them tear-stained. Closing the door behind me I looked behind me and he looked as if he had gained some of his life back. The room appeared to be warmer, the light wasn't as cold anymore and his skin was less pale.

I wondered what had happened and slowly closed the door, standing in front of it for a while.

"I will try.. I promise I will try."

"What will you try?"

I turned around to see Scott standing at the end of the hallway, a worried and sad expression on his face. I sniffed and smiled a little, believing the words I was about to say and the meaning behind them. I promised it and I would keep my word.

"To save him."

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting! <3

#Yanie