Goodbye's are Hard *Chapter 22*

Start from the beginning

Jace walks over to Chris and says, "Sit down."

Chris sits down and crosses his arms. Lissa and Alyssa leave the room quietly. I sigh and lean against the wall.

"You need to stop throwing these fits, right now. I am sick of it Chris!" Jace said loudly.

Chris looks down, glaring.

"Were you like this with Sarah?" he asked his son.

Chris doesn't answer and I can tell Jace is getting frustrated.

"Answer me!" he yelled.

I walk over to him quickly and touch his arm. "Jace" I warned him.

He looks at me and then back at Chris. He's crying and staring at the ground.

Jace sighs and shakes his head. "I'm sorry Bud. I shouldn't have yelled at you. But you have to stop throwing fits whenever I'm gone or when I'm leaving" he said.

Chris sniffles and nods.

"Now give me a hug" he said, holding his arms out. Chris hugs him and I smile at them. Jace is such a good father.

"I'm sorry Daddy" Chris said.

"It's okay, Bud" Jace said. He messes up his hair and kisses his cheek. Then he turns to me and smiles a little. "I better go pay Alyssa and Lissa" he said. He leaves the room and I stay with Chris.

"Mommy?" Chris asked.

"Yeah?"

"Is Daddy mad at me?" he asked quietly.

"No, he's just upset that you always want him here" I told him.

"Oh." He plays with something on the bed and then slides off and leaves the room. I follow him and Alyssa and Lissa are leaving with some food. I guess that's how they pay each other here.

"I'm hungry" Chris said to Jace.

"What do you want to eat?" Jace asked.

"Hot dogs!" he said, excited. All the unhappiness gone from his face.

Jace nods and goes to the fridge. He gets out a package of hotdogs and starts making them.

Someone knocks on the door and I answer it. It's Monique and Hatz.

"Hey. Everything good?" she asked.

I nod. "Thanks."

"I just wanted to make sure you guys were okay" she said.

I nod.

"Goodnight" she said.

"Night." I close the door and sigh.

"Ever? Are you okay?" I heard Jace ask. I look up and nod. "You don't look okay" he said.

I shrug. "I'm just tired" I lied.

"I'm sorry for your night ending like this" he said quietly. He stands in front of me but doesn't touch me.

"Why are you so upset?" I asked him.

He sighs. "Sarah called while we were out. Lissa answered and Sarah said she wants her kid back because she found someone who will pay her for him. They want to adopt him" he whispered.

I don't know what to say. I don't know how he feels about this news. I know I'm upset about it. Chris has become part of us in this short time.

"He won't have a good life here. We can't send him to school. We can't teach him what not to do because we're doing those things. He's better off with a real family... But he's my kid," he whispered. He looks up at me. "I don't know what to do. I'm too young to make decisions like this."