27 - Reckless

Chapter 27

Jackie's POV

This was unbelievable, out of all worst case scenarios it was happening to me.

"Are you okay?" Logan asked grunting. I nodded holding my head.

A stupid reckless driver had thrown us off course and into a ditch, far from the highway. Also far from a cellular tower.

"You?" I asked, Logan shook his head no, slowly lifting his shirt revealing a three-inch gash along his torso. "You're bleeding!"

"It's nothing Jackie, your head looks pretty bashed too." he said touching my forehead, I flinched at his touch.

"Yeah but I'm not bleeding it's just swollen, badly. Lets try and get out of here." I said, I tried in vain to open the door of the totaled car. There was a thick branch in the way.

Logan managed to limp out from his side and then I crawled out from the passenger seat. I saw Logan gripping his clutching his side. He rested on a boulder near by throwing his head back.

I hesitated before giving into temptation of touching him. The crash had caused the trunk to swing open. I walked to it opening my suitcase and taking out an old shirt tearing it into a long strip. Fortunately with the Mia being kid I always carried a first aid kit.

I took out the antiseptic, walking towards Logan. Lifting his shirt up and taking a deep breath before spraying him.

He cringed as it burned.

"Still a baby I see." I muttered. Logan chuckled before letting out a painful groan. I finished cleaning him up, a bandaid clearly wasn't going to cover this up so instead I took the ripped shirt wrapping it around his wound. I added pressure which once more made him mutter profanities under his breath.

"I'm done." I said. Logan looked down looking at his side amazed by my work.

"How'd you know what to do?" he asked leaning off the boulder.

I walked towards the unrecognizable vehicle putting everything away. "I've been practicing for this moment where you almost kill us."

"I could've dealt without the sarcasm thank you very much." he said offended.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so worried! How are we going to get back, how far away are we from the nearest highway? Where the hell are we?" I asked. "What about Ryan and Mia?"

I fell to my knees distraught, this wasn't happening. I wasn't in the middle of nowhere, with the man I still loved but pretended to hate.

"Jackie get it together, we just need to keep moving. We can't stay here, we'll starve and probably die if we don't do something." Logan said, I looked up to him who was still holding his side but his free hand was held out for me. "You're not alone, I'm here."

I let a tear roll down my cheek, I smiled taking his hand standing on my feet. "Thank you."

With his thumb he wiped the tears away smiling sweetly. "We should move along."

As we began to walk I noticed that he had a tight grip on my hand, not letting me go. I blushed without him seeing. It felt nice to feel his warmth close to me. We walked until we reached a stream. I looked behind to the path where we came from.

"Do you think it'd be a good idea to go back for blankets or anything?" I asked worriedly, Logan shook his head no.

"It'll just weigh us down, we need to keep moving uphill."

"What makes you think there's something up there? There could be a herd of mountain lions up there." I said, Logan chuckled. I pulled my hand away from him, feeling insulted.

"Jackie first of all if you had any know-how experience there has to be a ranger station up there. Secondly, it's California, there could possibly be bears, but no mountain lions. So relax."

I grumbled wanting to punch him right where he hurt at the moment.

I knew I should've gone for Styles instead of Henderson. We continued to walk near the stream, it was nearly dark, and I was exhausted.

"Logan I'm tired, can we rest?" I asked out of breath. He stopped looking at me, the sunset made his brown hair glisten brightly.

"Jackie we need to..."

"Please Logan, ten minutes." I begged, he sighed finally giving in. We sat on a log, in silence, the only sound that was heard was the stream.

After approximately fifteen minutes we continued our journey to the top of the mountain. Soon we began to hear the hoot of the owls through the branches. The sound of the running water accompanied us, the moon was at its fullest and brightest.

Logan opted for us to spend the night, being the city girl I was I was petrified. Somehow he built a fire, obviously he made me get the wood from the forest gathering them into a small pile. I'd never knew that he was accompanied by a lighter. But that's what kept us warm during the night. I rested against a tree my back to it my arms crossed along my chest. While Logan made do with the dirt ground.

I hated this, by now we were supposed to be in our beds with our kids tucked in and fast asleep. Instead we were under the shining stars.

The irony of it all.

The tree branches seemed to cover the moonlight making it pitch black. The only thing I could see was Logan face from the firelight.

The sound of the crackling wood made it impossible to sleep, every once in a while my head would fall forward and I'd quickly wake up. Logan seemed to be having a good night as he snored the night away. I gave in finally letting my ego slide and so as my body. I fell asleep on the dirt floor, finally getting some rest.

**

I didn't need an alarm clock for my eyes to burst wide open. The possible thought of not seeing Mia and Ryan was enough to make me wake up, that and the sun almost blinded me.

Logan was nowhere to be found, I scrambled to my feet panicking.

"Logan? Logan!" I hollered as I found ten feet away from the campfire on the ground, I ran towards him my heart beating so hard it was about to come out through my throat.

I reached him falling on my knees. and rolling him on his backside finding a huge blotch of blood on his shirt from his wound. "Logan you're bleeding!"

He grunted in pain as he tried to sit up.

"What happened?" I asked frantically trying to make him stand.

"I woke up and I was looking for something to eat when I just collapsed. It burns Jackie!" he replied. He held my arm tightly, he was one I despised yet loved with my entire being. I took him back to the fire-site limping sitting him on a mossy green log.

I began to lift his shirt to see his injury when he stopped me. "What are you doing?"

"Just let me, it might be infected." I said looking directly into his deep chocolate eyes. His hand let go of mine letting me proceed. I took the blood drenched wrappings off to find the slash was purple and brown.

It was infected.

Badly.

~~~~~

Vote&Comment

-xo