11 - Half Across the World

Chapter 11

Your POV

"Derek, what are you doing halfway across the world?" I asked, as we entered the front door, helping him with his luggage.

"What did you expect? The girl whom is my absolute everything is going through a hard time, did you actually think I wouldn't care?" he asked smirking, I smiled hugging him once more.

"There's no doubt about it. But how did you know... about the divorce?" I asked curiously, pulling away and motioning him to the kitchen, offering him something to drink.

"Thanks but no thanks Jackie, I'm just fine. Let's just say Katie isn't the one to keep certain things to herself." he replied, I smiled, agreeing. Just then Mia came running down the stairs.

"Mia, can you come here a bit?" I asked, she came running making an impressive halt, without falling over.

"Yes mommy?" she asked fluttering her eyes.

"Mia I'd like you to meet Derek, he's a friend of mine from England." I said, holding her shoulders, as she eyed Derek from head to toe.

Derek crouched to Mia's height, ruffling her hair, something Mia wasn't to appreciative of. "Hello Mia, I've heard many wonderful things about you."

Mia crossed her hands on her chest, giving him an attitude. "Oh yeah like what?"

"That you have the most beautiful blue eyes one has ever seen." he complimented. "Or that you have a cute little button nose."

"Your eyes are blue too. What makes mine so beautiful?" she questioned him, Derek smiled, standing up straight.

"Enough Mia, go play with your toys." I pursed my lips, demonstrating embarrassment from her attitude.

Mia ran along leaving us alone again. "Charming isn't she?"

Derek let out a small laugh, looking down to the tile floor. "It's understandable."

"What is?" I asked confused.

"Well it's pretty clear that she wouldn't want mommy dearest to find a new person that fast, or have a guy friend that has so much interest in you." he replied, I tilted my head to the side, I guess he did have a good point.

"Yeah, well that's not happening anytime soon." I said, having a déjà vu of the conversation I had earlier with Natalie. It seemed to me that Derek had a frown forming on his face but soon vanished.

"Well I'd certainly would love to meet that baby of yours." he spoke up clapping his hands together, I smiled nodding.

***

"My God, he looks just like you." he whispered.

"You think so?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows. "I thought he'd look more like his..."

"Father?" he asked finishing, I shrugged in response. "Well obviously he's going to look like the 'baby daddy', how you Americans say it. There's absolutely no doubt about it love."

I smiled my hands resting on the crib's handrail, having Derek by my side giving me a comforting warmth. "Well I better get going."

"Where, may I ask?" I asked him.

"Well find a place where I can retire myself." he replied.

"English please?" I teased.

"A place where I can spend the night. Like a hotel." he replied, I quickly shook my head no.

"Absolutely not, you're staying here. As long as you'd like. The basement is a duplex, you can do your 'retiring' there, if you'd like." I offered.