Chapter 2

Wade pushed the door to his apartment open and flicked on the light. A dim wave of dusty yellow light barely illuminated the room, even though it was small.

He looked around and picked up an old duffel bag and began tossing some of his belongings in it. Once the bag contained his essential items, he zipped it up and tossed it to the door. He went to his bedroom and collapsed on the bed, the exhaustion from the day making him fall asleep.

Sunlight flooded in through the small window, hitting Wade in the face. The bright light caused him to wake up. He sat up on his bed, and pulled the card out of his pocket to call the man. His phone dialed, reaching out to the man with no sense of humor.

He was given an address to meet at, and he picked up his back and walked to the address. It was a run down building, almost looking abandoned. There was black growths lining the windows, dripping down the side of the building.

Wade glanced up, the building looming over him. He shook off the forboding feeling and walked inside. He thought maybe just the outside was bad, but the inside confirmed this was not the case. The building was ugly and old inside and out. Overall, a very sanitary place for treatment. He saw people rushing around, pushing gurneys and mixing medicines. A different man, this one wearing a white shirt and jeans walked to Wade.

Wade watched him, and he stopped a few steps in front of the man.

"My name is Ajax, the one that began this institution fourteen years ago. You will hand your stuff over to this attendant, and we will get started."

He held his bag out, the attendant rushing over to take it, then scurrying away. Wade went to the changing room where he took off his clothes and put on the hospital like gown he was given.

He walked out of the tiny room and followed the timid attendant.

"Cheery place. Makes me feel like there should be a unicorn grazing nearby."

The attendant smiled weakly and led Wade to a bed separated from the big room by a sheet on a curtain rod.

"This way, this is where you will stay."

Wade nodded and looked at the cot, then jumped onto it.

Ajax walked in. "Time to begin, Wade."