Chapter 21

She took off her suit and put on some of Wade's extra clothes to sleep in. She laid down, but didn't close her eyes. She stared at the wall, not wanting to close her eyes for fear of tears falling. Her eyes stung, and she curled into a ball on the blankets. She held her knees to her chest, clasping them tightly.

Wade got up, feeling like he did something wrong, but not able to put his finger on it. He stood up, and looked around. He knocked on the door.

Andy jumped, startled.

"Hey, Andy. Can I come in?"

She made herself invisible, and moved her hand to unlock the door and stayed in a ball.

Wade gently pushed the door open, and walked in.

"Where are you?"

She mumbled from the bed.

"On the bed. Right."

He sat carefully on the edge of the bed, and looked at the center of it.

Andy rolled over to face him, looking at the scars on his face.

"Why did you hide? Why do you stay invisible?"

She sighed.

"I don't know. Self defense."

He looked down.

"You don't trust me."

"To be fair, I don't trust anyone."

Wade nodded.

"I get that. I'll go now. Let you get some sleep."

He moved to get up, and Andy reached out and put her hand on his arm.

"Wait. Don't go. I feel bad for taking your room."

He looked down at where he felt her hand, and stayed.

"Don't worry about it. I'm fine on the couch."

She removed her hand, feeling awkward for leaving it on his arm for so long.

Wade stood up, and closed the door behind him.

Andy laid there, still invisible. Her mind was working, thinking of how to show him what she looked like. And what to say. She couldn't think of a way to do that where it would end well.