Chapter 10: Comprehension dawns.

Start from the beginning

"We're doing everything we can in persuading the court to grant leave for appeal but I won't sugar coat it Riley; your situation isn't the best right now. If only you hadn't attacked him in front of witnesses." He'd said; his face contemplative.

"Yeah well, there's not much I can do about that now is there?"

Weren't lawyers supposed to make you feel better about your case?

"Just be honest with me; is there any chance at all I might get out of here?" I couldn't look at him as I asked the words; fearful of what I might see on his face.

"There's definitely a chance you'll get out but I need you to write a letter to the judge; it might help your case." He said and my brows furrowed.

"The courts already received your testimony so you need to go for their hearts; tell them the type of person you are, your dreams, the way you feel about the murder. Anything you can think of to get them to at least consider hearing your case."

I took a breath and let it out and he gave me a plastic smile. "Get it to me before the week is out; I'll review it and sent it off."

He'd left shortly after that and I'd found myself munching on my dinner in silence while all around me the noise grew.

"You okay?" Nathan was the first to ask; his expression was serious as he looked at me and I wondered if it was really concern that I saw in his eyes.

"Stop babying him Nate; he's gonna be here a long time he's gonna have to learn to be tough." John interrupted and with the mood I was in already something told me that if I opened my mouth I'd probably end up with more bruises than I was comfortable with so in a flash I was out of my seat and making my way over to Kyle; where he sat alone.

"Hey dude." He greeted when I dropped unceremoniously into the chair across from him.

I sighed, dropping my forehead onto the table.

"I'm gonna assume you had a fight with John since he's looking at you like he's ready to drag you back over there and pound your ass." His comment came not long after.

"Didn't have a fight with anyone...just sick of them. Maybe we should start our own crew." I grumbled and he laughed.

"Ha! I wish." He started and I looked at him, "So did you get a chance to ask Nate if I can join?" he sounded hopeful and I was sorry I had to crush it.

"Nate's not gonna let you in dude. He's...he doesn't really trust people that easily." I told him and his face fell.

"But did you ask him? I'm sure he'll listen if it's you."

"I don't have to... He told me point blank that he doesn't trust you. If I ask him now he'll just say no. Plain and simple."

He didn't say anything for a while after that and I knew he was hurt buy my words. Nathan was a dick; they all were and it was days like today that I found myself contemplating just leaving the crew all together.

"Sorry bro." I said a short while later and I watched in surprise as he pushed up from the seat and went to dump his food tray. When he made his way back over to the table he didn't sit but instead stopped beside it to address me.

"I have a visitor so I gotta go, but just ask him anyway okay?"

I didn't have the heart to tell him no so I nodded and watched as he walked away. Right before he was to pass my crew's table however he shot John a look that I didn't quite understand and was out the door before I could decipher it.

No sooner had I replaced my head onto the desk than Nathan dropped into the seat beside me and I lifted my head to appraise him.

"You ready to tell me what's got you acting like this?" were his first words and I shook my head.

"Nothing."

I expected him to be annoyed but he remained pretty calm as he continued to watch me.

"Really it's not a big deal...just going through some stuff and I don't wanna talk about it." I  even offered him a half smile in good grace and he nodded in what I assumed to be understanding.

"You shouldn't let John get to you; that's just the way he is; you're  gonna hafto get used to it." He began his next topic of conversation and I turned infinitesimally to glare at John but he didn't look my way.

"He's an idiot. I hate him." I whined and Nate chuckled. I wasn't sure if it was at my words, expression or the situation on a whole, but I felt myself smiling back at him despite myself.

"He's not a bad guy when you get to know him." He tried to convince me.

"Is he one of those guys who shows his affection through insults?" I asked sarcastically and when he didn't answer but raised an eyebrow in question I shook my head.

"That's what I thought. He's an ass, he thinks I'm an ass and we both can't stand each other...you don't have to pick up for him."

He shrugged then and once again chanced the topic.

"Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I have a court appeal in the morning so the prison is shipping me out in a few minutes." He said casually and I felt my lips stretch across my teeth of their own accord.

"That's awesome Nate! I can't believe you got an appeal, wow." I was genuinely happy for him but it would be hours yet before I realized that an appeal meant he could possibly be set free soon and what it could possibly mean for our 'relationship'.

"So when are you coming back? Do you think you have a strong case? Where are you gonna stay tonight?" I shot the questions without pause and he chuckled; his eyes gleaming with laughter.

"My lawyer seems to think so, they're holding me in a courthouse cell and I'll be back by tomorrow evening I think."

Before I could reply a guard I hadn't even seen walk up, tapped him on the shoulder and he stood.

"I'll see you tomorrow." He said. I wasn't sure whether I should wish him all the best on his trip, tell him I was gonna miss him or give him a hug so I nodded instead and watched him leave the room with the guard as an escort.

It wasn't long after that that something occurred to me; I finally understood the look that Kyle had shot John as he left earlier. It was practically the same look I gave Nate on a daily.

I shook my head in disbelief and turned to look at the table the rest of the crew still sat around, letting the realization sink in.

Kyle had a thing for John.

.....................................

~Nathan's POV~

I pulled the book out from my oversized pants pocket and stared silently at the cover. I'd managed to get the copy delivered earlier today and I hoped he'd like it. When the guard cleared his throat to hurry me along I dropped the novel onto Riley's bunk and turned to go. I watched as he slapped the cuffs onto my wrists and I took a breath.

 Ever since I'd landed the case I'd been hoping for it to just be over so I could get back to my life on the outside but now that I had the chance to escape the confines of the prison for just one night I felt hesitant.

It was strange, but I recognized the hesitation for what it was; it was only for a single night but I would miss him.

As I walked between the two guards who would escort me to the location where I'd finally get a chance to speak with my captain, I realized how much I really didn't want to leave him here. Not tonight and probably not even when I would permanently be retracted from the prison system a few months from now.

                                          AUTHOR'S NOTES

...AND NOW I CAN FINALLY GO WATCH A MOVIE...ENJOY THE CHAPTER GUYS AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS; THEY ALWAYS MAKE ME FEEL EXTRA SPECIAL ^_^

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited.