Chapter 10: Comprehension dawns.

Start from the beginning

"So I was wondering..." kyle trailed off and I looked up at him when I caught the seriousness of his tone, raising an eyebrow as assurance that he could continue.

"Do you think you could maybe get me into your crew?" he asked surprising me.

 After a brief pause I went on."Trust me you don't want in on my crew, all they do is sit around and throw insults and judge you for shit you didn't even do." I grumbled and he shrugged.

"It's gotta be better than being alone here...everybody thinks you're fair game when you're a solo inmate."  He explained and I supposed he was right. I'd experienced the horrors of being solo when I'd first arrived after all.

"Why my crew though? they're so many others to choose from."  I was genuinely curious.

"Have you seen the criteria to get in? I aint getting myself involved with those other freaks" he hissed and we both looked around to make sure no one had heard him. Things got ugly here for less things than calling someone a freak.

"I don't know if I can get you in but I guess I could ask Nate for you." I wasn't too confident about his chances due to Nate's distrust of him and I wondered I should just tell it to him straight.

"Time for you to get lost." A very familiar voice boomed from behind me and I watched as Kyle looked at Nate then at me before taking a few steps away from us. Speak of the devil.

"Got any good books from Jerry?" he questioned then, moving his mop to the pace of my own.

"Why'd you do that?"

"Do what?" he asked. It was totally unlike him to act obtuse and I rolled my eyes at his failure at subterfuge.
"With Kyle."

"I needed to talk to you, he was in the way; there's not much to tell." He shrugged and I glanced over at Kyle who was even further away from us than before; making his way through his cleanup alone.

"You didn't have to be so mean about it." I retorted and if Nate was in the habit of rolling his eyes I got the feeling he would have. Instead he gave me that typical Nate look that meant I shouldn't be making foolish statements and I rolled my eyes in turn.

"You know there's no reason to be jealous right?" I questioned and even though he had yet to admit he was jealous of my relationship with Kyle I wasn't too simpleminded that I hadn't picked up on it and damn if it didn't fill me with those warm tingly feelings I probably shouldn't even be feeling.

"You shouldn't assume things." Was his only answer and I carefully noted that he didn't deny my words.

"I don't have to assume something I already know. Kyle is honestly just a friend, I'm not planning to run off into the sunset with him or anything."

"Hadn't crossed my mind but now that you mention it; I hope you remember our deal. The minute you decide to look elsewhere for gratification, what we have is over and you'll have to find yourself a new cellmate."

I gaped at him, "That wasn't the deal, you said-"

"That's the deal now." He cut me off and when he moved away from me to go find another section of the room to clean I housed the thought of just lifting my bucket and tossing it; dirty water and all, onto him.

Leave it to Nathan to make you feel soft and cuddly one minute and murderous the next. I loved the man but his mood swings were going to be the death of me; I could only hope he somehow developed some vestige of feelings toward me before that fateful day reared its ugly head.

.....................................

Much to Kyle's disappointment, I missed REC period that day due to an unscheduled visit from my attorney and after over half an hour with him I left the room feeling just about the same way I did going in; somewhat hopeful but largely glum.