preface

I came into the house from the garden, my smile beaming from todays pranks. Annoying Kuya is satisfying.

"FINN! Enrique, call an ambulance, quick!" Mom bellowed across the house, her voice cracking from sobbing.

My radiant grin vanished and instead shone a dark atmosphere in the house.

I sprinted towards mom, who was tightly gripping on dad's hands, her bloodshot eyes staring at me desperately.

"Dad, don't leave us. Alam kong may sakit ka, pero stay with us, please," I whispered, tears like waterfalls falling from my cheeks.

"WANG WANG!" The siren from the ambulance sounded.

All of us rode on the rapid ambulance to the hospital, silent and terrified.

Dad could die any moment.

Upon entrance to the hospital, several doctors and nurses approached us, questioning the paramedics on my fathers circumstances.

"He is in a critical condition."

I gulped and took a deep breath, processing the news.

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!" I screeched across the hallway, making a scene to people snickering and smirking, much to their satisfaction.

Shivers went up my spine as I started to sob heavily, crawling on the floor in shock. Bakit kami, Diyos? Ano ba ang kasalanan namin?Panting rapidly, my vision turned distorted, as I continued to breakdown.

Dad could die any moment.

Before being sent to the mental hospital, Fabian, (our family's bunso), carried by Kuya, stretched his hand out to me, noticeably worried about my meltdown.

"Sei glücklich*," He said in a baby-ish, weird tone, yet still cute for anyone to resist.

[In German, meaning: * "Be happy."]

"Pimples, don't be like that. Dad will be okay in the hands of God, we just have to pray and hope for the best. Remember, if you cry you might gain acne and that kinis skin of yours might turn rough. Sige ka, bahala ka sa buhay mo," Kuya lectured, as I giggled.

Pimples ang tinatawag niya sa akin. Baka selos lang siya sa kinis at puti ng mukha ko, ha! Even in the darkest and hardest of times, he always manages to form a grin on my face and make me laugh. No matter how frustrating he is, I love him.

I took his hand, wiped my tears and walked to the room where dad had been hospitalized. Anxiously entering the room, I saw my mom and my sister Nadia (who is twins with Fabian), both praying the rosary, mom's crimson red eyes and eye bags causing me to cry again. Imagine - the love of your life in pain? Truly, my mom is the strongest and most loving mom in the universe.

Kuya, Fabian and I decided to join mom and Nadia as we prayed the rosary, in high hopes for dad.

"Mom, Ava, yung wrinkles remember!" Kuya joked, causing everyone to giggle and grin, even mom.

However, that moment didn't last long.

"BEEEEEEEEPPPPPPP!!!!!" The monitor exclaimed.

Our hearts sank and shattered into millions of tiny fragments.

"Time of death 14:00pm, Saturday 14th February."

"BAKITTTTTTTT!!" Mom bellowed, attempting to wake dad up.

Shocked, I immediately hugged dad tightly, in disbelief of the news.

"Kuya, he's still alive right?" I whimpered, in hopes that he would say yes.

With a blank expression, Kuya stared at me, clearly traumatised.

Equally both twins were confused and petrified; I wouldn't blame them though, they're only young after all.

Observing the medical bill, Kuya turned to mom hesitantly.

"I...I guess we're heading to Lola in the Philippines," Kuya said, voice cracking, nearly into tears.

Dad died. How can I start my life again in another country without him?

I will always hate February 14th, 14:00pm.

I fainted.