Chapter Twenty-Six

• Dedicated to All of my lovely readers and Mr. Adam Young

A/N: 

Hey Hootowls! I'm so sad (but also excited) because this is the last chapter of Of June. But I have decided that there will be a sequel. It will be called Alligator Sky, and it will come out soon. 

So, please enjoy this new chapter. It might be long. 

This starts about a week after the wake and funeral. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hadley's POV

I kneeled down in the damp grass, tracing the letters on the stone with my finger. It was chilly that morning, and being in the shade of trees wasn't helping. 

From some reason, tears didn't come to my eyes. I had been working on the five stages of grief with Adam, and I felt that it was going better than I expected.

"I'm doing what you said, Dad." I whispered to the headstone. "I'm going to live with Bridget in Owatonna. I'm leaving Blue Lake. It's what she wants, and what Adam wants. But why do I feel so sad?"

Put those thoughts out of your head. Don't be sad.

I took a deep breath. 

"Do you remember when we used to drive the boat around the lake? And I would always yell at you because you would drive with no hands? Or...do you remember the times where you would dance with me in the rain? We would get soaked, but you didn't care..." I rambled on and on. 

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and warm brown eyes meet mine. 

"Bridget's ready to go. Are you?" Adam asked, quietly. 

"One more moment." I said. I leaned down and kissed the headstone. "Goodbye, Dad. I'll miss you." I whispered. 

I got up, and took Adam's hand. 

"Will you come with to say goodbye to Blue Lake one last time?" I asked him. He nodded. "Of course, Hadley."

So, that morning we went around Blue Lake, saying goodbye and doing things one last time. When I went by my Dad's work, Ray came out and gave me a hug. 

"When you move away, don't forget about us, alright?" He said. 

"I won't forget. I promise."

We went into the general store, because we got hungry, and too say goodbye. I was furious when I heard the whispered conversation between the owner and a customer. 

"I heard that he was drunk when he hit the car."

"Oh, really? Stacy said that it was the other way around." 

"That's crap. Everyone knows that Thomas was a complete drunk. Some say that he beat Hadley..."

I snapped. "You want to say that again?"

The owner and customer looked horrified. "Hadley, we were just..."

"My father was not a drunk."

If Adam wasn't there, I might have started busting some heads. I stormed out, and Adam came after me. 

"Hadley, I'm so sorry." 

"It's alright, Adam. I think I'm ready to go now." I said. I took his hand, and we hurried down the lone road of Blue Lake.

The house had sold quickly. An old couple wanted a small, practical cabin in the middle of nowhere. We sold my dad's car and boat, and we were all packed and ready to leave for Owatonna.