Chapter Eight

After our very long and comforting hug, I let go of him. His warm brown eyes were happy instead of sad, and I liked them that way.

"Thanks for carrying me upstairs." I said. I noticed that he was wearing pajama bottoms. "Where you up there too?"

Adam blushed furiously, and I realized what I said. I started laughing and Adam stuttered: "No, I-I was sleeping down on the couch. Well, I was trying to sleep on the couch, but I couldn't." I continued to laugh. I took things out of context sometimes.

"Ok, that came out wrong too." He said, almost starting to smile. "I just stayed down here." 

We both ended up laughing, even though we were both red as tomatoes. And every time we looked at each other, we got even redder.

I stopped laughing when I realized something. "Oh my gosh! I have to go home! My dad is going to kill me!" 

Adam's eyes widened. "Does he know where you are?"

"Of course not!"

"We have to get you home," Adam said, getting up. He ran up the stairs to the loft, and I heard him yanking open drawers and shutting them. He came down the stairs a few minutes later, grabbing his car keys from the table. 

He lead me outside, and shut the door behind him. 

"Adam, I can walk home. You don't need to drive me. My dad probably isn't awake yet." I said. It was true; the sun didn't seem to want to come up yet. 

"It's alright." He said. "I get to talk to you." He opened the car door for me and I hopped in. He pulled out of the driveway, and onto the road. 

"Another question, Hadley?"

"Yes?"

"Does your dad know who I am?"

"I really just said I was going to a friend's house."

Adam sighed. "Well, I think your dad will be in for a surprise when he figures out you've been hanging out with a twenty-six year old man." He looked at me sincerely. "Please tell him the truth, Hadley."

"I will."

It didn't take him long to get to our house. He pulled up in our driveway, and took the keys out of the ignition. 

"Should I come in with you?"

I sighed. "If you want to."

He opens the car doors and we hop out. He follows me up out path and I open the door. It was unlocked.

I winced at the sight before me. My dad was passed out on the couch, and beer cans littered the floor. The tv was blaring a rerun of a black and white detective movie. My dad was snoring loudly, and he still had his hat and shoes on. I wished Adam hadn't come in.

I shut the tv off and walked slowly over to Dad. I prayed that he wouldn't start screaming at me in front of Adam. That would be the most humiliating thing ever.

"Dad?" I said, quietly. "Wake up, please. I need to talk to you."

He grumbled and sat up. "What's happening?" His words were slurred. Not good. I was sure Adam noticed.

He rubbed his head and winced. Then he noticed Adam. He stared at him silently.

"Dad, this is my...friend. Adam." I said, trying to diffuse the tension. Adam stuck out his hand for my dad to shake, but he didn't take it.

"Isn't this the guy you talk about all the time? The singer? Owl Continent or something?" He meant to whisper, but Adam heard every word.

"It's Owl City, and yes."

"Oh. Well, that's nice, Hadley. I have to head to work. I'll be home tonight." He said, before kissing me on the forehead. He couldn't have driven like this. He was still drunk.

"Dad, it's a Sunday today. You don't have to go to work. You should go up to your room and rest." I blurted, trying to get him to stay. It really was a Saturday today, and Adam was about to say so, but I gave him a look and he caught on.

"Alright," Dad said, heading upstairs. "It was nice meeting you, Adam." I winced as he crashed into something at the top of the stairs, and then proceeded to head for his bedroom. The door slammed shut. 

"Isn't he a charmer?" I said, sarcastically. "Alright, I'm calling him in sick for work."

 Adam didn't respond, he just waited for me to call Ray's, Dad's work. He's a mechanic, and his business partner is Ray. He's always so nice. He was from Texas and he still had his southern accent. He always referred to me as 'Miss Hadley.' And I liked it.

"So, Adam..." I began, once I came back to the living room. 

"So, Hadley..." He mimicked. 

"I know what we can do," I said. "But you're going to want to pack a swimsuit."

Hi everyone! Sorry this chapter was short, and not very eventful. I'm going to update again soon though!

Love, Luna.