Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N: Hi everyone! I haven't done an author's note in awhile, so I figured I would do one now.

I've been kind of hinting at doing a sequel to Of June, because I now know how everything will end.

And the end is near. Hehe.

But I would really like to here your opinions about it, so make sure to comment what you think. 

Enjoy!

Hadley's POV

"Ms. Carter?" A voice woke me up from my sleepy daze. "Ms. Carter, you've done well. You're a very lucky girl. You're ready to go home now. I'll be taking out your IV line."

A nurse was standing over me, and Adam was holding my hand, telling me to look at him. It would hurt less if I did, he said. 

I winced as she did it, and it seemed like the whole room was twisted into perspective. The bright white lights above me stung my eyes. Bridget was talking to another nurse quietly in the doorway. Adam's chocolate brown eyes were locked on mine. 

He smiled slightly, and whispered: "It's ok, Hadley. You're going home now. With Bridget." I noticed that he had a tear in his eye, but he tried to hide it.

"I don't want to go home with Bridget. Home is with you." I whispered back, my voice feeling hoarse. 

He just looked at me for a really long time, neither of us knowing how to say goodbye.

"The doctor only wants you to eat soft things, so I made soup." Bridget said, handing me a bowl. She gave one to Adam too, and then sat down next to us. 

Once Adam had finished he checked the time and said, "I have to get back to my cabin. I'm Skyping the rest of the band to work on something. I'll see you later, Hadley and Bridget." He kissed my forehead, and awkwardly shook Bridget's hand, and then left.

Bridget and I sat in silence for a moment, sipping our soup and watching TV. Then she broke the silence. 

"Hadley, I've decided that you will come and live with me." She stated. "And before you protest, I really need to tell you something important-"

"I don't want to go live with you. Blue Lake is my home. I was born here. I met Adam here. I'm sorry, Bridget." I said, putting down my soup. "I just can't leave."

"I really need you to listen to me."

"I'm listening, Bridget. My...my dad is here. He's going to be buried here. I-I don't want to leave him."

"I've meaning to talk to you about this," Bridget said, sitting down next to me. She was going to take my hand but I tucked it underneath my blanket. "Did your dad ever...hurt you?"

How did she know about that?

"My father was a good person."

"I'm not saying that he wasn't. I just-"

"Why does it matter, Bridget?" I demanded. 

She was getting frustrated. I probably would be frustrated with myself too. "I think it explains your unruly behavior and tendancy to make people angry."

"I am not unruly!"

"And stubborn too!"

"My father was a good person, Bridget. He never did anything to hurt me!" I lied. "He was happy and free-"

"And look where he ended up." Bridget snapped. I was stunned; I couldn't speak. She looked like she regretted the words right after she said them.