Chapter Twenty

That afternoon, it had started to rain again. My phone vibrated. I got notifications whenever Adam tweeted something. I gasped as I realized what it was.

"ADAM RANDAL YOUNG!" I screamed. I thought I heard a thump from up in the loft. 

"Yes, Hadley?" He called down, knowing exactly what I was yelling about. 

"I told you not to post the song cover!" I said, pouting like a little kid. I was fuming.

"I know you think you're not a good singer," Adam said, trying to calm me. "But look at all of the comments." He held out his phone for me to see. Most of the people commented asking if I was Breanne Duren or Taylor Swift. A few others said something along the lines of : "OMG DAT'S AWESOME!! <3"

And a few others demanded to know who this girl was who was cutting in on 'their Adam.' 

"See?" Adam said, urging me to believe him. "They love you!"

No. They loved Adam. They liked the song because he was singing.

Adam noticed my put-down thoughts. "I'm serious." He said. "They think you're amazing. They want to meet you."

A smile formed on his lips. "And I know how they can."

Adam had posted on Twitter that he was going to do a livestream chat in thirty minutes, so the fans would get to meet me. I was a bit nervous that I would do something stupid for the HootOwls of the world to see. 

"You don't have to be nervous," Adam said. "Just be yourself. They will love you."

"Really?"

"Really."

He started up his MacBook laptop to prepare for everything. 

"Come on, Hadley." He patted the space on the floor next to him. I sat down next to him. He turned on the camera on his computer. The livestream chat was almost ready. He seemed anxious.

"Why are you nervous?" I chided him. He smiled. 

"I'm not nervous. I just can't wait to see them."

He noticed my tension. "Relax. You're alright."

He started the chat, and the first time it didn't work. I was laughing and he said,"You try to do this, Hadley!"

On the third time, he got it working. I scooted my way out of the picture, but I could tell he had fans already typing questions for him. 

"Hello, everyone! It's Adam from that band Owl City!" He paused when he noticed I wasn't there anymore. "One moment, everyone."

He took my hand gently and lead me back in the view of the camera. 

"So, this is Hadley Carter. She was the special person singing on the recording with me." Adam said, cooly. "She's a really good friend I made this past month." I waved shyly into the camera.

"I will now answer some questions. Let's see..." He said, his eyes scanning the screen.

"Are you and Hadley dating?" He read. He flushed when he realized he said it out loud. 

So Adam could compose himself, I answered for him. "No, we're not dating. We're just good friends. I'm fourteen, he's twenty-six..." I was about to say, My dad would kill me, but he wasn't here anymore. 

Adam noticed my sudden sadness, and he said, "Next question."

While he explained the inspiration for his music, I heard my phone ring. I got up and left the view of the camera to answer it. 

It was our lawyer, Mr. Hortense. 

"Hello?"

"Miss O'Neal has arrived in town. We would like Mr. Young and yourself to come to the firm, so we can proceed with the reading of your father's will."

"Thank you for telling me. We'll be down there soon."

"We will see you then. Farewell."

"Goodbye."

I stuck the phone in my pocket and mouthed to Adam: Let's go.