Chapter Fifteen

My dad came back, and he took me home. I was happy that he wasn't drunk, because he's so much happier. It's like my mother never died. 

There were times when I was younger were he wasn't drinking, and he would be with me constantly. We would go to the lake, travel around Minnesota, and once we went camping. 

Before he starting drinking.

Before he starting forgetting my birthdays. 

Before he started blacking-out.

When we were in the car, he asked me what happened to my face. I told him what I had tried to tell Adam, that I had fallen down the stairs in the dark.

"It looks pretty bad, Hadley. Maybe we should put something on it when we get home." He said. 

"I think it will be fine."

The moon was shining big and bright on us as we pulled into the driveway. I pretended to be asleep, even though I was awake moments earlier, so he could carry me upstairs. He laughs/sighs and picks me up.

"Gosh, you weigh a ton!"

I tried not to laugh. 

 I felt him carry me up the stairs, two at a time. He kicked open my bedroom door, and I heard him sarcastically say: "I'm going down!" We both crashed onto the bed, and I finally opened my eyes. 

I was seeing him happy for the first time in a long time.

It was still dark outside when I woke up. I was sprawled all over the bed, with my tank-top and shorts still on. I could hear my dad in the living room shuffling around, and I could hear the news playing on the TV. 

I pulled on a new pair of jean shorts and a tank-top that said Duluth. After getting cleaned up in the bathroom, I came down the stairs and saw my father sitting on the couch drinking coffee and watching TV.

The smiling news announcer said that the forecast said today was going to overcast, with a slight chance of rain. 

Dad stood up from the couch and kissed my forehead. "Good morning, Hadley."

"Good morning, Dad."

"I've got to head to work now," He said, looking deep into my eyes. "I'll be home earlier tonight. I promise."

His eyes wandered to the cut on my cheek. His tender hands touched it gently, and I felt no pain. It was strange to have him touch that same spot so gently, when it was him who caused the injury in the first place. 

Then he pulled on his shoes and hat, and left. 

The rain was a comforting sound. The grass and the trees looked greener. It was really pretty. I could imagine Adam writing a song about it. 

A knock at the door yanked me out of my thoughts. But it happened to be the person I was thinking of.

Where we're apart, whatever are you thinking of?

If this is what I call home, why does it feel so alone?

"Hi Adam." I said. 

He looked really tired. He hadn't slept that night. 

"Adam, you look terrible. Hurry, come on in."

He rubbed his eyes, and slipped off his shoes. "I know I look bad. I didn't sleep at all last night."

"Oh," He said, suddenly looking wide-awake. "I meant to give this to you." He held out a slip of paper with two phone numbers on it. "It's my mobile phone and the cabin's number. Just in case you need to talk to me." 

"Thanks." I stuck it in my pocket. I went to the kitchen and wrote down the house's phone number. I came back into the living room and Adam looked like he was going to fall asleep sitting up.

I gave him the phone number and tossed a blanket at him.

"You should get some sleep, Adam."

He started to protest, but I sat down next to him and shushed him. "It's alright. Go to sleep. Go to sleep."

I don't know when he fell asleep, or when I feel asleep next to him. 

I ended up sliding off the couch and waking up. It didn't really hurt, but I was worried that I had woken up Adam. I got up quietly and tried to sneak away, but Adam mumbled: "What time is it?"

Dang it.

I sat down next to him again as he opened his brown eyes and smiled slightly. 

"Do you feel better now?" I asked. His hand brushed mine as he stretched. 

"A bit," He said, tracing my hand with his pointer finger. "Thanks, Hadley."

"You're welcome, Adam." 

 He sat up and said, "What adventure are we going to have today, Hadley?"

"Well, it's raining. So we might not want to have quite the adventurous day." I said, pondering my thoughts.

"Then we could have a non-adventurous day inside together." He said. 

 "That sounds like a plan."

We relaxed on the couch most of the day, playing cards and watching TV. I made apple cider and chicken noodle soup for us. My dad likes to put cinnamon in his apple cider, but I'm allergic to cinnamon. While we were watching a rerun of the X-Files, I got bored and starting narrating whatever Adam did.

"Adam picks up his soup and ladles soup onto it. He sticks it in his mouth. He turns to look at me. He ignores me. He repeats the same soup-eating process. He looks at me again."

"Hadley?"

"Yes, Adam?"

"What are you doing?" He said, eyebrows raised.

"I'm narrating you."

"Ok." He said, confused.

"Adam continues to eat his soup, and stares at Hadley. He moves his hands just to see if I will narrate it. He sticks his tongue out at me."

"I think you've had too much apple cider." He said, touching my hand. Then he takes another spoonful of soup.  

"Yeah, you eat that soup, Adam." I blurted. 

Adam looked like he was about to spit up his soup, and he set his bowl down. I was laughing, and so was he. "Ok. Now I know you've had too much apple cider."

 I laid my head gently on his shoulder. He softly pressed my hand against his, comparing their size.   My fingers were about half the size of his. I was going to miss him so much when he left. 

Love is like heaven, but it can hurt like hell.

But compared to what was going to happen next, Adam leaving was just a small thought that crossed my mind.

Hey everybody! I haven't updated in a while, and I had some writer's block, but I will try to update as soon as I can, especially after the cliff-hanger. 

Love, Luna.