Chapter Eighteen

A/N: This takes place a few days later than the last chapter.

"I'm glad that you were able to come today," The lawyer said, with fake cheeriness. "Now, we must get down to business." I knew that he would try to be polite and pleasant around me, though I knew that we were just another case.

"I will now read the Last Will and Testament of Thomas Lee Carter." He began, but then he frowned. "It...appears there is a party missing." 

"Miss Carter, do you know a Bridget O'Neal?" 

I looked at Adam, and he looked back at me. I shook my head. "No, I'm afraid I don't know her."

"Well, I will have to make contact with her immediately." He said, shutting the folder which held the will. "I'm afraid we will have to postpone the reading until Ms. O'Neal is present. We will make sure to find her as soon as we can."

We thanked him, signed a few papers, and left. When we were in the car, Adam said, "I wonder who she could be."

"I don't remember my dad talking about her." I said quietly. Just saying the word 'Dad' hurt. 

This was just the beginning of a whole lot of court dates and paperwork. There was going to be a trail against the drunk driver who hit Dad. His name was Eugene Ramone. Even though it was normally done, I didn't want to show up for his sentencing hearing. I didn't want to see him. Partially because I was angry with him, partially because I don't like seeing people punished, even if they deserve it.

Even if they killed Dad.

I'm just too empathetic. And sometimes, that isn't always the best thing. 

He hugged me without warning. I wonder if he felt the same way I did when Annmarie died. Why did both of us have to have to go through such terrible losses? 

"I wish I could do something," He said. 

"You've already done so much." I said. "I really couldn't ask for anything else."

He gave a shy smile. I liked that Adam didn't look down on me. He didn't pity me. He seemed to be the only one that didn't. I knew he cared, but it wasn't condescending. Nearly the whole town came by to (a) give their condolences, (b) bring me food, or (c) tell me how they knew my dad and how he was such a dear friend, even though I had never met those people before.

"How about we head over to your house, pack a suitcase for you, and we have a slumber party at my house?" He suggested.

"If that's what you call protecting me from grief, that sounds like a plan." I said. 

"How about we get some dinner first?" He said, taking my hand in one of his. 

"I guess."

We had to drive seven miles to get to the law firm, in a town called St. Mark. It was a lot bigger than Blue Lake, but it's still on the small side. But it had plenty of restaurants and other fun places, unlike Blue Lake.

We pulled into a Noodles and Company and parked. I offered to pay, but Adam insisted that he should. He held my hand like I was a little kid, though I know that he meant it as a reassurement. 

When we walked through the door, it was a matter of seconds before someone recognized Adam. 

"OH MY GOD!" A girl with brown hair and purple glasses screamed. She yanked her phone out of her sweatshirt pocket and leaped for joy. She looked like she was about eighteen years old, but she was as gleeful as a pre-schooler. "IT'S OWL CITY! ADAM, I LOVE YOU!"

A few people looked up. Others just continued to eat their pasta dishes, like international pop-stars walked into Noodles and Company everyday.

She ran over to us, looking at Adam like he was God. "Hi, I'm Lauren. I'm a huge fan. Can I get a picture with you?"