Chapter Thirteen

We had stopped by a convenience store in town, and bought two bottles of lemonade and candy. Swedish Fish for me, and Runts for Adam. They're his favorite. Except the bananas. 

Adam singing along to a cheesy, girly pop song on the radio in a high-pitched voice, mimicking the singer. I couldn't help but laugh. 

"That song is perfect for your voice."

"You really think so?"

"Yes. You're absolutely stunning."

We both ended up laughing. We pulled into the parking lot of the boat launch, and hopped out. I was thankful that no one was on this side of lake. I like this part of the lake much better, because it's never crowded, and I think it's a lot prettier. 

"Ok, Adam. I'm going to need you to back the boat up onto the runners. Then, I'll unhook it, and you can park the car."

He does what I tell him to do, and soon, we're in the water. I untie the boat from the dock, and Adam starts it. I hop in, and we're off. The depth-finder already said the lake was six feet deep. 

"You might want to hold onto something." I warned Adam. He sat down in the chair next to me. I pushed one of the levers forward and we sped even faster over the surface of Blue Lake. The nose of the boat was pointed in the air, and water flew up over the sides. The wind blew through our hair, and cooled us down in the hot weather.

"Um, Hadley?" Adam said, his chocolate brown eyes fixing on me.

"Yes?"

"Do you have a boating license?"

He knew the answer before I said it.

"Of course not!"

"What if the police sees us? Or the DNR?"

"If there were police in this town, I wouldn't be able to do half of the things I normally do." I said, smiling mischievously. 

"You naughty little girl."

"I try my best."

 I stopped the boat, and let it bob in the wake as I dropped the anchor into the water. I sat on the back of the boat. It was an inboard, so that meant the motor was under the boat and that we could dive off without hitting it. Adam joined me. 

The water was very calm today. Occasionally the wind would pick up and we would be sprayed by a breeze, and that felt good on the hot day. We played games with our candy, trying to catch it in our mouths. 

We stopped playing that game for awhile. And for some unknown reason, I looked over at Adam and said: "You have really pretty brown eyes."

He blushed, and then smiled. He studied my eyes closely. 

"Your eyes have a really pretty royal blue color, but you have a ring of gray around your pupil. I suppose they look different occasionally, because they look a lot bluier than yesterday. You have ocean eyes."

His sentences make mine feel inferior. 

"Thanks." I said, shyly. 

Then a thought occured to me. "I want to show you something." I hurried back to the front of the boat and started it again. We set off around to a more secluded part of the lake, and I set the motor to a trolling speed. Then I stopped it completely when we were shaded by an overhanging williow, and a little area covered with waterlilies. 

Soon, I saw what I was looking for. A loon popped up out of the water right next to the boat. We were absolutely silent as it floated by us. Then it dove under again, and popped up on the starboard side. It took a mouth full of water and then began its high-pitched warble. We watched it for about ten minutes, then it dove off again. 

"They're so beautiful," I said. "And they're pretty big."

"Yeah."

I came and watched this place occasionally, and I don't think that anyone else knew about it. 

Except Adam. 

I started the boat again, and took a lap around the lake. Adam drove for awhile. I stopped in the middle of the lake and threw the anchor in again. I took the keys out of the ignition. I smiled at him mischievously. 

"What are you doing?" He said, as I jumped onto the back of the boat. 

"I'm going swimming." And with that I flipped off the back of the boat. 

The water felt absolutely wonderful, and I opened my eyes to see the dark depths below me. I heard Adam above the water calling my name and laughing. 

I propelled myself up and splash him. I'm laughing hard as he shook the water out of his hair. 

"I'm going to get you, Hadley!"

"You're going to have to come in here if you want to get me."

"You better start swimming!"

He took off his shirt quickly and jumped from the back of the boat. He chased me around the boat before he finally caught me. We splash each other for awhile and I couldn't remember a time that I smiled more. Soon, we crawled back into the boat as the sun started to set. 

The sky was a beautiful watercolored painting. It was an array of red, orange, yellow, and a tinge of violet. I reflected in Adam's eyes as he smiled and took my hand. I loved watching the sunsets, but I haven't seen one this pretty.

I wanted to sail in that sky.