Chapter Twenty-One

We drove to the law firm quickly. I could say that we were both eager and worried to meet Bridget. Adam held my hand as we walked out of the car and into the building. I could tell that he was nervous.

The secretary pointed us in towards the right room. Mr. Hortense was there, along with a woman with fiery, curly locks and bright green eyes that shone as she stared down at a stack of paperwork. She looked quite young, around Adam's age. She had a fancy blouse and skirt on, and she kept fiddling with the hem of it. She was definitely not what I thought she was going to be.

She smiled and got up when she saw me. Instead of offering a handshake, she went straight for the hug. 

"Hi Hadley." She said, beaming like a kid in a candy store. "I'm Bridget O'Neal. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't recognize me. The last time I saw you was when you were a baby."

She continued to chatter. She's my second cousin. She lives in southern Minnesota. She is an ad designer. 

She shook Adam's hand. 

"Bridget O'Neal."

"Adam Young."

She seemed to recognize him, but before she could say anything, Mr. Hortense called the meeting to order. 

"I will now read the Last Will and Testament of Thomas Lee Carter. All parties are present, and now we will proceed." He cleared his throat.

"I bequeath to my daughter, Hadley Jude Carter, all of my personal possessions, including my monetary assets and my house." He said. "And due to previous agreements with Bridget Taylor O'Neal, she is the legal guardian of my only child, Hadley Carter."

He said a few more things, but I was lost in them. If Bridget was my guardian, I would have to leave Blue Lake. I would be even farther away from Adam.

"Miss Carter?"

"Hadley?"

I snapped out of my thoughts. "I'm sorry. Yes?"

"A letter adressed to you has been recently added to his will." He said, handing me an envelope. I took it gingerly, like it was the last piece of him.

"Thank you." I said quietly. Adam squeezed my hand reassuringly. I squeezed his back. 

We had to sign some papers, but then they let us go home for the night. Bridget had to stay behind for a few more minutes, and we gave her the address for my house. 

Adam started up the car and we drove down the road.

"Well, Bridget seems nice." I said, trying to break the silence. 

He shyly smiled and didn't meet my eyes. He blushed.

"Shut up!" I yelled. 

He slammed on the breaks in fear. "I didn't speak-"

"You like Bridget!"I said. 

He laughed. "I do not!"

"You are as red as a tomato right now! Denial!"

"I'm serious!"

"So am I!"

He sighed. "Ok, maybe a little." He said, quietly. 

I smiled. He just stared at me. 

"You cannot tell her though!" He said, eyes wide.

"Relax, Adam. I won't tell anyone." 

"Thank you."

He grasped my hand on the way home, like he was afraid that if he let go, I would fade away. 

Are you there, or are you just a decoy dream in my head?

Am I home, or am I simply tumbling all alone?

We arrived at my house and started making dinner. It wasn't very fancy, just macaroni and cheese, because neither of us felt like cooking. 

Bridget pulled up about an hour later, and we were relaxing on the couch, debating which of us would be the better ninja. 

I could totally imagine it. Adam the ninja and his army of owls. 

I opened the door for Bridget and she smiled at me again. It's like she couldn't feel sadness.

"Hi," She said, unsure of what to say. "That took a bit longer than I thought it would. I'm sorry."

"It's alright." I said. I decided to give Adam a chance to talk to Bridget alone. "I'm going to go and change into pajamas. I'll be right back."

I ran upstairs into my bedroom. It was strange being up there. Nothing had changed, everything looked the same, but nothing was the same anymore. Home didn't feel like home. 

Because home was were the heart is, and my heart was with the people I loved. Adam. Dad. 

I pulled on a tank-top and sweatpants, realizing that I hadn't read the letter that my dad gave me. I sat down on my bed, and with trembling hands, opened it. 

My dear Hadley,

Today, I had just realized what I have done. And I'm writing you this letter to apologize for what I have done, because I can't tell you in person. I have never been more regretful in my entire life for what I have done to you. 

I've been meaning to tell you Hadley, to go and leave Blue Lake when you grow up. I want you to go and live your life. Find friends, meet people, and see places you've always wanted to see. I'm not ready to go. I'm still grieving your mother. But you are. You're brilliant and kind, and you are by far the most wonderful person I've ever met. You can find your place in the world, whereas Blue Lake is where I belong. 

It's like that song you love so much by your friend, Adam. Vanilla Twilight, right? 'And I'll forget the world that I knew, but I swear I won't forget you.' Listen to these words, Hadley. 

I love you with all of my heart, Hadley. You are the only thing that kept me going all these years. Now, I'm telling you that you can go. Live your dream. Do what you want to do, and not what I want you to do. 

With every ounce of love that I have, 

Dad. 

My heart died in my chest. I didn't go back downstairs; I felt too much pain. 

He wanted me to let go. 

But how could I let go the one person I loved for my entire life?

Hi everyone! Sorry for the super late update, and this chapter wasn't very eventful, but the next one will be. 

Of June will soon be drawing to a close, but I am planning on writing a sequel. Feel free to comment and ask me questions about it. 

Love, Luna.