Chapter Seventeen

My mind couldn't connect with my body. I could barely breathe. My heart hurt like a billion stab wounds.

Adam held my hand all the way to the car. He had tears in his eyes too. 

"Hadley, I'm so sorry." He said, but I couldn't even look him in the eyes. Why him? What did he ever do wrong? 

He hit you, Hadley. He told you that you were better off dead.

How dare me. Don't say that.

I was too stunned to shed a tear. I was so lost in my mind that I almost missed my house.

"Adam," I croaked. "We missed the house."

"I think you should stay at my place tonight."

"Thanks, Adam."

Adam gave me one of his t-shirts to sleep in, but I had to wear my shorts with it because it didn't go past my upper thigh. He wanted to me to sleep in the bed while he slept on the couch, but I insisted that he wouldn't sleep if he was down here and he reluctantly agreed. 

He sat on the floor next as I laid my head on my pillow. 

"You know that I'm here for you, right?" He almost whispered. He played with a strand of my hair. His soft brown eyes were softly on mine. 

I nodded, still too dazed to speak. But when he leaves, what will happen?

He kissed my forehead, and hugged me gently. "Goodnight, Hadley."

"Goodnight, Adam."

He turned off the lights, revealing the stars in the skylight. He had a lamp lit up in the loft. 

I don't know how I did it, with all of the voices in my head, but I feel asleep.

"Hadley!"

"Hadley, wake up!"

My eyes shot open to see Adam sitting next to me. His eyes were alert with concern. My forehead was slick with sweat, and my blonde hair was stuck to it. 

"Hadley, you were screaming. What happened?" Adam said.

I dreamt that I was surrounded by everyone I knew. Adam. Dad. The people in town. The kids and teachers at my school. Everyone was staring at me silently, but I couldn't speak. One by one, they began to disappear. I ran to catch my dad, but he faded into the darkness as soon as I grabbed his hands. 

Adam was next to me, but he began to fade too. I reached out to grab him, but he evaporated too. 

"No!" I screamed as I fell to my knees. "No! No! No!" My voice seemed to be morphing, and my throat felt like it was on fire. 

Just give up, Hadley.

He's dead. 

Don't you want to see him again, Hadley?

Do it. You know you can.

I thought these were the voices of the people who vanished. But they weren't. I was saying it.

The last one was in Adam's voice.

He's dead. Now it's your turn, Hadley.

Then I woke up.

"I-I had a nightmare," I said, my breathing slowing. But then I broke down. "Adam, I'm so scared!"

I buried my face in his chest. I sobbed, the second time in twenty-four hours. 

"Shh," Adam whispered. "Shh. It's okay. You're alright. I'm here. There's nothing to be afraid of. You're safe." I wished I could have believed him. 

"Will you stay up with me?" I sniffled. 

"Of course, Hadley."

Ok! Hey, guys! I know this chapter was super short and it wasn't very eventful, but I promise that I will make a more eventful and longer chapter soon! 'Night, my lovely readers!

Love, Luna!