Chapter Sixteen

We were so peaceful and relaxed that last hour. We watched the TV, and I tried to teach Adam how to braid my hair. He tied it in several knots before he finally got the hang of it. I wished that I could have been out on the road, where it happened. Maybe I could have stopped it.

But I know better.

A knock on the door startled us. It was a bit early for my dad to be coming home. Tugging a few of the snarls out of my hair, I got up and opened the door. 

Two police officers stood stiff and at attention. My heart skipped a beat.

"Are you Hadley Carter?"

"Yes."

"Do you know a Thomas Carter?" One of them said, trying to look me in the eye. 

"Yes." Adam was by my side now.

"We are sorry to inform you that he was involved in a car crash approximately thirty minutes ago. He was killed on impact."

I was numb. I couldn't feel anything. Adam drove me down to the police station, which was in a town  five miles from there, with the police escorting us. Adam tried to talk to me, and I could hear him, but I couldn't respond.

My dad was dead.

He can't be dead. I needed him.

I heard his voice in my mind. I tried to recall the last thing he said to me. I couldn't. 

I sang my princess fast asleep

''Cause she was my dream come true.

Oh, Annmarie, believe me, I loved you!

But now those lonely lullabies, 

just dampen my tired eyes.

Because I can't forget you!

"Hadley?"

"Miss Carter, may I speak with you?"

I didn't realize I was in the police station until Adam started tapping my shoulder. His eyes betrayed his sadness. I wondered if this reminded him of Annmarie. 

A woman stood in front of us. She motioned for me to follow her, and I did, just letting my brain go on autopilot. Meanwhile, my heart was dead.

She led me to a separate small room, where a curtain separated half of it. A single chair was in the middle. "Please, sit down." She said. I did what I was told, and Adam stood behind me, his hands on my shoulders.

"We found your father's car in the ditch on the side of the road. An intoxicated driver hit his car, and he is now in our custody," She said, ever so nonchalantly. "And we are going to need you to indentify his body, Miss Carter."

"I'm so sorry," Adam interrupted. "but Hadley has been through so much, and I think it would be wise to take her home."

"It is essential that she is to identify the body, Mister..."

"Young. Adam Young."

"Yes, well, Miss Carter, I will need you to identify his body." She said, a little more forcefully. She pulled back the curtain, and on the table was a human-like form covered by a blanket. She didn't need to pull back the blanket for me to scream out: "IT'S HIM! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"

She looked stunned. I couldn't take it anymore. I ran out of the room, Adam on my tail. He took my arm, and pulled me into him. I was sobbing uncontrollably now, like I had never cried before.

"I'm so sorry, Hadley." He always seemed to know what to say, but this time, he didn't.

"Please take me home, Adam." I cried into his t-shirt.

"Of course, Hadley. Anything."

Hey, guys! I know this chapter was short, but I've had the idea for a long time and I had to throw it in sometime. This chapter brought tears to my eyes. I feel so guilty having him die. Make sure to vote and comment and message me!

Love, Luna.