Chapter Nineteen

A few hours later, I woke up breathing hard and sweating. Adam must have tucked me in. Why am I always falling asleep on him?

Adam was actually passed out on the floor next to couch, so he didn't even make it up the stairs. So I guess none of us could pull an all-nighter.

Another nightmare, only this one was worse. I'm not even going to go into detail about it.

"Adam?" I whispered. "Are you awake?"

His eyes fluttered open. "Yeah, I'm awake."

"I had a nightmare. Will you stay up with me again?"

"Of course," He said, getting up and flipping on one of the lamps. I smile crept onto his lips. "How about we play some songs on the piano?"

"Sure." I said, pulling the covers off of me. I brushed off my pajama pants. Adam sat down on the piano bench, and patted the part of it next to him. I sat down next to him.

"Play The Pianoman for me." He suggested. 

"I'm not very good, but I'll try."

I place my hands on the keys, and breathed. I began to play the intro, and let the soothing music flow out of me. 

It's nine o'clock on a Saturday

The regular crowd shuffles in.

Adam smiles at me and studies the movement of my hands. 

He says 'Son, can you play me a memory?

I'm not really sure how it goes,

But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete

When I wore a younger man's clothes.' 

I could feel myself become lost in the music. It was just me and the piano. The song was winding down, though, but my soul was thoroughly entertained.

It's a pretty good crowd for a Saturday,

And the manager gives me a smile,

'Cause he knows that it's me they've been coming to see,

To forget about life for awhile.

Sing us a song, you're the pianoman,

Sing us a song tonight,

Well, we're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feeling alright.

When I hit the last chord, Adam started clapping. "Why must you lie about your singing and piano-playing abilities? You're so good!"

"You're just being nice."

"I'm telling the truth. You're amazing."

I looked down at my hands, blushing a bit. 

Adam played a song for me. It was sad and sweet and I did know it complete, because it was Vanilla Twilight.

 The stars lean down to kiss you,

And I lie awake and miss you,

Pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere

'Cause I'll doze off safe and soundly,

But I'll miss your arms around me,

I'll send a postcard to you, dear

'Cause I wish you were here.