Chapter Eleven

I went inside, shivering from the cold raindrops. I ran up to my bedroom to change into a sweatshirt and shorts, my rainy-day attire. I threw all of my wet clothes and towels into the washing machine and started it. I ran down the stairs and flopped on the couch. I wondered what Adam was doing right now.

I just couldn't stop thinking about him. My brain was on Adam-overdrive. 

My dad came through the door as I had just started making dinner. I poured the shell-shaped noodles into the bubbling pot and turned to face my dad. He looked tired and worn out, and his jumpsuit had grease stains in it. He slumped in his chair and sighed. 

"This job is going to kill me, Hadley. I'm dying trying to provide for us." He said, groaning. "Trying to provide for you."

Just ignore it, I thought. He was still drunk.

"Hand me a beer, Hadley." He ordered. 

"No," I said, sternly. "Can't you see what it's done to you? You shouldn't be drinking anymore."

He got up and shoved the chair back angrily. He pinned me against the cupboards and hissed, "I am your father. You will do what I tell you to do."

He let go of me and turned away, walking back towards his chair. "Thomas," I said, surprising myself by using his first name. "I am your daughter and you will treat me with respect."

Then, time seemed to slow down. Dad whipped around and slapped me across the face. He screamed at me, calling me names that I have no desire to repeat and telling me that I'm useless and that he should have gotten rid of me a long time ago.

I ran up the stairs, and into my room. I slammed the door shut and locked it. In frustration, I shoved my bed towards the window. And by evening it out, I decided I liked it that way. I laid down on it, facing the window. It still continued to rain, and the fresh air cleaned out my mind. I started to feel drowsy. I don't know when, but I fell asleep.

I woke up to the sound of a soft rain. Water beaded on my windowsill, coming from the screen. I slid it shut, and realized that I couldn't breathe through my nose. I coughed for awhile, and sneezed after that.

I had gotten a cold from dancing around in the rain. 

And I also had a cut on my cheek from where my dad had hit me, and a nasty bruise surrounding it.

I changed into sweatpants and a new sweatshirt, draped a blanket over myself, and headed downstairs. My dad had left the TV on, and a sticky-note was stuck to the screen. 

Hadley,

I had to go to work early today. I'll be back tonight. Stay at the house.

Love, Dad

I wondered if he would ever remember what he had said, what he had done. I had learned in Health class that when someone consumes a large amount of alcohol, they can forget what they did when they were intoxicated. It's called a black-out. I wondered if his whole life will become a black-out.

I took some Day-Quil, and sprawled out on the couch. I was tired, and the medicine wasn't helping matters any. I didn't have much of an appetite, so I didn't eat breakfast. I picked out the longest movies we own and popped the first one in the DVD player so I wouldn't get bored.

I was about halfway through The Fellowship Of The Ring when the doorbell rang. "It's open!" I yelled,  pain filling my sore throat. 

In came Adam, and I brushed my hair over my cheek and put my hand over it casually. 

"Hi, Adam."

"Are you alright, Hadley? You sound sick."

"I got a cold from being outside in the rain. I'll be fine, though." 

He sat down next to me on the couch, and concern filled his eyes as he looked at my cheek.

"Hadley, what's on your cheek?" He said, quietly. He reached out to move my hand away, but I scooted away from him.

"I'm fine, Adam."

But he gently guided my hand away from my face, and gasped. "What happened?"

"I...fell down the stairs last night. It was dark. I couldn't see." I lied.

He didn't seem convinced. He got up and went to the kitchen. I heard the freezer door open and close. Adam came out with a ice cube tray wrapped in a dishrag. He gently pressed it on my cheek, and said: "I know a scratch like that can't come from a fall. Was it... your dad?"

I nodded, not looking him in the eye. I was worried that Adam would tell someone, or make me leave. Contact the Social Services and never let me see my dad again. He couldn't do that; he is the only family I had left. Instead, Adam wrapped his arms around me in a hug. He gives the best hugs. 

"If anything like this happens again, you can come over to my cabin. Or I can come over and try to talk to your dad."

"Please, don't tell anyone. It won't happen again. He could get into trouble, and I don't want that. I need him here."

"I won't. Just promise me that you will stay safe."

"I promise, Adam."

He let go of me, and looked like he was going to get up, but I grabbed his arm and asked him to stay. He sat down next to me, and I nestled into him.

About an hour later, we were cheering on the battle on the TV in The Two Towers and eating grapes. I was starting to feel better, and it was still raining lightly outside. 

"Adam?"

"Yes, Hadley?"

"I'm going to miss you when you leave."

"I'm going to miss you too, Hadley."

"A lot." We both said at the same time.

But I think at that very moment, we decided not to think about that.

Hi, everyone! Sorry this chapter wasn't very eventful, but I'll be updating soon. And I also wanted to thank you for getting 70 votes! That's amazing! I love you all!

Love, Luna <3