Chapter Twenty Three - I Love You

Tobias

I've just been told that I've just woken up from a drug induced sleep. They told me not to worry and that my memories would be a bit disorientated for a couple hours. My stomach is causing me searing pain. Worst of all they're making me sit here all alone, no ones allowed to come see me, they said I'd have a 'melt down'. I say that's bullshit. I press the button for attendance. It hurts my stomach every time I move, a piercing, stinging pain.

"Yes Mr. Eaton?" One of the female nurses says. She has dark brown hair, dull blue eyes and bold red lips.

"Could you please get Tris Prior." She sighs dramatically and grabs a small piece of glass from her back pocket. It looks very similar to Natalie Prior's journal. She presses a button on the side of the device and it lights up. She taps away.

"Sorry, I don't see a Tris Prior here."

"What do you mean?"

"Every person that has a family member or friend at the hospital has to register their name. Either she hasn't registered her name yet or you've got the wrong person."

"Let me see."

"I'm sorry Mr. Eaton, I can't let yo-"

"Give me the Goddamn piece of glass." She gives it to me hesitantly. I scroll through the names.

Tony Davenport

Tris Eaton

Violet Austen

Wait, Tris Eaton? I small smirk makes it way to my face.

"Sorry, I meant Tris Eaton." I hand her back the device and she scurries off to go get her.

Tris

"Tris Eaton?" I pretty female nurse says in quite a loud voice. My heart skips a beat when she says Eaton. I whip my head around at the sound of my name. We make eye contact and she gestures me over to her. Christina puts her hand on my back, ushering me over to the nurse.

"Yes?" I say once I get to the nurse, my knees shaking.

"He's ready to see you now." I sigh in relief. Thank god. She guides me to Tobias' room and opens the door for me. I thank her silently and walk in slowly. Tobias is sitting there with a large bandage wrapped around his stomach and a bare chest. The blankets are pulled up to his waist and one of his big toes is peeking out. The sight makes me tear up, it takes a lot of my strength not to have a full on break down.

His head turns to meet my gaze. I walk over to him silently and sit down on the chair next to the bed. Tobias grabs my hand and holds on to it like I'm the only thing keeping him alive.

"Hey." I whisper, not actually meaning to. My voice is all worn out from all the yelling I did at the receptionist. 14 times, I asked that woman. I asked that woman to see Tobias 14 times! Each time resulted in me being restrained by security men.

"I heard you yelling a couple times today." He chuckles breaking the ice. Each time he laughs though I see him wince in pain.

"Actually it was 14 times, I counted." I giggle halfheartedly. He squeezes my hand reassuringly.

"Why did you do this Tobias?" I ask after a short comfortable silence. He sighs, let's go of my hand and breaks our intense gaze to stare at the blank wall in front of him. I don't dare and try reach for his hand again.

"You know I love you right?" I nod in response. "I just couldn't bear not being around you. I got into a mood and kept telling myself how bad my life would be without you in it." He pauses and takes a few breaths.

"So I decided that if I just end it now, I'd save myself a lot of pain." His beautiful blue eyes are glassy and so are mine.

"Tobias, I love you, forever and always. You need to be aware of that. I over reacted, wait, you don't even know why I was mad at you right?" He shakes his head.

I explain everything until he fully understands what happened.

"So where'd you go?" He asks. My breath hitches and I start to bite my nails, except there's nothing left to bite.

"Mathew's." I say quickly. He nods. I don't tell him about our kiss, or how he touched me when I said no. I try my best not to cry and spill my guts out to him but he's making it very difficult.

"What did he do Tris?"

"Nothing." I respond to fast. He's not convinced but he doesn't push it any further.

"C'mere." He pats a small spot on his bed. I smile and try my best not to hurt him as I clamber in to the bed and snuggle close to him. I rest my head on his shoulder and breath in his scent. Tobias wraps an arm over my shoulders. Gently, I give him a small kiss on his neck. All of a sudden the wall comes down. The invisible pane of glass that distanced us is gone. He feels it too. I can see it in his eyes, they aren't full of sadness, they're full of love and passion.