Chapter Thirty Two - Marcus

Tris

I wake up alone but not completely. Hushed murmurs are easily heard from outside the bedroom door. I sit up quickly and strain to hear what the voices are saying. All I get are small snippets.

"I... That happen... You're crazy..." It's Tobias.

"Tobias... With me!... Only for a... Of time."

My heart beats all too quickly at the sound of his voice. My breathing speeds up and before I know it I'm hyperventilating. I touch my chest where my heart is and that's when I realise, I'm topless... Bottomless too.

Cautiously I hop out of bed, keeping a careful eye on the window that is letting large rays of sunlight through. As I hop into the bathroom I hear the door to my bedroom open.

"Tris?" Tobias whispers. I poke my head out of the bathroom door, covering myself awkwardly.

"You don't need to cover up for me Tris." He says. I nod but still keep my hand over myself, not feeling quite yet comfortable with myself.

"It's Marcus." He says. "He's outside." I nod and tell him to wait with him while I get changed. I had already guessed who it was, Marcus' voice is a sound that my mind just refuses to let me forget.

Tobias leaves and I scramble for my clothes and put them on in record time. I've put on a plain white shirt on with some light blue denim jeans and, of course, combat boots. When I exit the room I'm greeted by a wrinkled, tired looking Marcus. I flinch automatically.

"Hello Beatrice." Marcus says with an almost menacing tone to his voice.

"That's not my name." I snap as I cross my arms over my chest. He just nods looking away to stare at the carpet for a few seconds then back up at me again.

"Sorry, Tris." He spits out my name like it brought a bitter taste to his mouth. He's talking to much and not getting to the point.

"Why are you here Marcus?" I ask, trying to get him to hurry up and explain his presence.

"I've come to take you away, back to Chicago I mean." He says the words with so much relaxation in his voice that it hits me like a punch to the gut. I stumble backwards, coughing.

"I'm sorry. What?!" I shriek. He winces at my sudden loud voice but continues.

"Chicago needs you Tris, they need your help. The city's in shambles. Evelyn's gone mad and I've been dropped from my spot as Leader in the government. Factionless feel as they should be governing the city since they don't believe in the faction system they won't discriminate. Obviously this is not good Tris, I need your help. I need you to help the city, but more importantly me. I need you to get me to become leader once again."

I gasp.

"In what twisted world would I ever help you?"

"Beatrice ple-"

"Tris." Tobias interrupts him, breaking his silence.

"Tris." He corrects himself. "Please, I'm begging you."

"I'll go." I say quickly. His face lights up. "I won't be helping you though, not until I've heard the full story."

"Understandable." He says, shrugging. "We leave tomorrow." With that he leaves our apartment just as soundlessly as he entered. I turn to look at Tobias which has a panicked look to him.

"He sent the text." Tobias says. "He's been reaching into my mind, he's in David's Elite Squad, Tris. David's not the leader, Marcus is."

"How do you know that?" I ask him.

"I just know, Tris."

"But Tobias, you have no proof, no evidence, no way of proving to me, to anyone that he's the leader of the squad Tobias."

"Don't you think I know that Tris?!" He raises his voice and I flinch, wanting desperately to just sink into the ground and leave this stressful conversation.

"Just hurry up and pack." I say ending it. He sighs and walks into the bedroom. I hear him opening and slamming draws powerfully. What is wrong with him? He's been getting into moods lately, ones that I can't get him out of. I just want it to be back like it used to be and going back to Chicago is taking us one step closer to finally being normal.