Make the Decision

"Hey Pete is there anyway possible that I get the day off?" Shelby asked rounding the counter.

The bright orange and blue colors blending in well with one another, helping keep the animal shelter lively. It soothed Shelby hearing the sounds of the animals tucked away in their cages or out playing around or doing whatever activity Pete had them doing. Because at home all she could think about was Michelle and what Serena went through. It wouldn't stop replaying in her head like a nightmare, because that was exactly what it was. A damn nightmare.

Pete looked from the computer and nodded, "Yeah 'course. I would have called you and told you to relax for the day, but everyone's busy. I mean everyone. Rachel is finally getting married this weekend, Seth is all of a sudden sick, I swear that kid has more excuses than we do animals. Devonte is leaving early, he has some major tournament later today and tomorrow. But you can definitely take tomorrow and Sunday off, just close for tonight, sound good?"

Not really caring, Shelby nodded, "Yeah sure." But thank God he was giving her the rest of the weekend off, she more than needed it. If she wasn't so wrapped up in what happened, Shelby would have called in sick. But being in that house and having the thoughts she did, she felt suffocated. She was ready for it to stop, it was driving her insane.

Tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear, the thoughts began to flow again. Fighting the urge to run out of the shelter and check on Serena was overwhelming. She hated leaving her side. Not knowing if Serena was okay or not was worse than what had been going through her mind all yesterday. At least Serena was there to reassure her.

Then there was Michelle, her heart ached. Immediately the pang in her chest, caused her to slightly quiver and look to the smooth counter. Michelle had to be okay, she just had to. If anything were to happen to Michelle, Shelby would drown herself in sorrow, guilt and regret.

Please be safe, Shelby thought. She needed her to.

"So how's our soldier, Serena?" Pete asked with a genuine smile.

Trying to send the same, the smile came out forced. Sure Shelby was strong, but she was never equipped to deal with a situation as arduous as this one. Nothing she had gone through prepared for her. She was trying her hardest to deal with it as best as possible, but instead Shelby knew she was failing miserably.

She hated feeling vulnerable and weak. And indeed she felt both, a very strong sense of both.

She swallowed before taking a deep breath and responding as calm as possible, "She's good. She's been sleeping with me, though. I barely got any sleep since it happened, she keeps waking up from nightmares..." Shelby trails off, making eye contact with Pete. "...I just, I just wish I was there. To pr-protect her, you know? I feel like I let her down, like it's my fault. It is my fault."

It felt good. To talk about it, it subdued some of the stress. Relief fled through her.

As if understanding, he placed his boney hand on her shoulder, "Don't go blaming yourself. It's no one's fault but that creep that did this. What type of perv does this? I'll tell you one thing, we live in a small town so they're going to catch him...do they know why he did it?"

Shelby quickly shook her head, "No." They didn't but she did. "And until they find out whoever did this, Serena's staying with our dad. It's safer that way. When I get off work, I'm going to call and let him know, not ask. She's not allowed in school, anyways...liability reasons."

Removing his hand, Pete responded, "Good. Time for daddy to be a daddy. So where's she at? Because if I know you right, you wouldn't leave lil sis without your protection."

For the first time since the incident, Shelby smiled a genuine one. "She's with our grandparents for the weekend. She's safe. Everyone's there, so no worries."