The First Note

"And so I was like here's Val's num-ber...Cam, are you listening to me?" Cammi's gaze switched from the group of girls down the hall to her associate, Gretchen. As always, Gretchen wore clothing three sizes too big. Cammi couldn't properly categorize Gretchen.

Gretchen was an all around kind of girl. She was mainly into masculine activities. But Gretchen wore makeup, even though her hair always laid a frizzy mess. What baffled Cammi, was Gretchen's makeup job, it may had been simple, but it was on point.

Also, Gretchen so happened to be dating a football player while she was into completely different things. She liked horseback riding, mudding, being unhealthy, and any other crazy time consuming activity. But that was Gretchen, and everyone loved her.

"Yeah, yeah," Cammi nodded. When Gretchen went back to talking, Cammi peeked at the same three girls. They were still tightly huddled and talking discretely, it didn't take a dummy to realize they were being quiet.

Periodically, Cammi would nod her head at Gretchen to show interest, but her mind wandered a million thoughts onto why Shelby, Michelle, and Bristle were together.

Turning her back to the three, Cammi refused to allow them to get to her. They weren't dragging her down.

Once Gretchen finished her prosaic story they said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. Usually, when Gretchen had a story to share, Cammi was all ears but not today. Not under those circumstances.

With those girls being together like that could mean a bumper of inevitable concomitant. It could mean they want to be friends again. It could convey that they were teaming up for or from a common source. Or it could be Lei. All those ideas, and Cammi would still be included.

Isn't this good, Cammi thought as she walked to her class. Isn't this what I want, she pestered on. Quickly, she shook her head denying it. Even if she wanted to be friends with them again, there was too much bad history. It took Cammi a long time to overcome her sensitive battles regarding them.

The light wooden door came into view up at her right, shattering her thoughts. Allowing two boys and a girl to pass by, Cammi crossed over and made her way to her math class. She never understood why it was legal to take math and science in the morning. The two gave her constant brain freeze. She would have rathered been sweating it off in the gym than multiplying. But that option was not given to her.

Her middle age math teacher stood at his desk fiddling around with his computer. As always his black hair looked more spiky than usual. It was as if it was more pointy each time she saw him. He was the only reason she liked her class. When he was not at school teaching, he was making great rock music and doing gigs. She had been to one for extra-credit. After hearing his music, she would have went just to hear great tunes. It was that exceptional.

Today he wore a white and black checkered suit jacket and black slacks. His bright red tie gave his attire the unique look, surprisingly. He wore whatever he wanted. It always shocked Cammi that he was a math teacher instead of music.

"Stuerdice, got my homework yet?" he questioned without looking.

Cammi kept walking to the five by four desk set up. Only three students were present. The overachievers. "I was too busy jammin' to your soundclound, Mr. Poletto. You understand, right?" Cammi replied sarcastically. Cammi never did homework. It was pointless.

A mixture of laughter briefly went off, then Mr. Poletto responded. "Right. One of these days you'll recognize the benefits you reap from school."

"Yeah, I mean I did come in on time. It'll only be a matter of time before I start you know taking notes and crap," she smirked. She of course knew she wasn't on time for that reason. It was what she saw that morning.