What Friends Are For

Michelle shook her head as she watched her former friend exit the building. Blowing out a frustrated breath, Michelle's eyes landed on the lined up lockers. She hasten her way towards them, and instead of smacking them, like she desired, she leaned against one.

Turning on her back, she lowered her eyes to smooth floor. She did not mean to rile Cammi up. All she was trying to do was. reunite her friends. She missed them. She missed Lei.

Michelle's breathing slowed. She felt as if her throat became clogged. Oh no not the tears, no not here, she thought. Trying to divert her attention from the current situation Michelle began thinking of any and everything. It was better than being a big baby on her birthday.

"Chelle? You...uh okay?" Michelle's eyes shot the speaker. He curiously leaned his body against the locker beside her. His hazel green eyes searching hers. Michelle sent him a small smile and nodded.

Tucking the loose pieces of her hair behind her ear, Michelle conjured up a bigger smile. Rolling her eyes, and delaying the thought of Cammi, Michelle nodded once more. "I'm uh fine, Javon. I just..." she trailed off nervously. I'm just going to use you, Michelle thought, "...I uh need your help."

Javon's lips instantly curled into a smile. His red and grey braces giving him a great smile. Michelle use to beg her parents for braces. She knew she did not need them, but she loved the way they make people look. And looking at how great Javon's smile was, she once again adored braces.

"Anything for the birthday girl. Can't believe you need my help. Must be a birthday thing," Javon joked.

Michelle chuckled lightly. She placed a hand over one and began picking at her nails. What if he denied her request? She needed him. He was essential. "My um parents. They think, they think I'm going with you to a community college to pay for summer classes. I need to get out for a few hours. Can you like uh, not be home or in their sights til maybe nine...ish?"

Michelle held her breath waiting for a response. Even though Javon and she had created quite a bond, she still got nervous around him. She figured it came from the obvious crush she had on him. Javon was like no other. He was the type of student that cared about his future.

Going for a jock or someone crazy was not in Michelle. She liked Javon, he's safe, and he's a great friend. Plus, Javon appeared to be the only student that could keep up with Michelle and her lust for academic opportunities. Sure her friends kept her entertained, but it was as if Javon understood her. Perhaps she was overdoing it, and thinking all of this because she liked him.

Javon shrugged his small shoulders, "Yeah sure. Anything for you. Besides Chandler is looking for some company at work. I can land a few insights on how to be an assistant baseball coach. I have to ask though, where are you really headed?"

Can she trust Javon? He was trustworthy, but even for this, could she? She let Cammi know, and that only proved to bite her in the ass. Can she take a risk with Javon knowing?

"My cousin wants to hangout. We're going to a tattoo parlor. She's hoping she can convince me to one." No she can't trust him. Not with this information. "I'm only seventeen. But I want to live a little."

Javon raked a hand through his short, curly hair. The curls easily following his hand's command. Every small thing about him, Michelle admired. She cannot help it. From his light brown freckles, to his cool guy style. Most days Javon was sporting a different type of style, and wore it perfectly. He could go from skater boy to cool kid without missing a step. With his tall, lean figure it added to Michelle's appreciation.

"It's Taylor, isn't it?"

Michelle quickly nodded. He believed her. But he was not too far off with the thought of Taylor being so ridiculous. At least he believed her, that was all that mattered.