Freeing Lei

"If you uh change your mind about karaoke night I'll be more than willing to take you," Garrett said to Bristle as they pulled up to their school.

Unlike the rest of the week, today was gloomy. Aside from Bristle's new revelation, the weather was down as well. The usually bubbly clouds were a depressing grey and the sky was a darker shade of blue. Bristle felt it was the perfect weather for her mood.

"I'll consider it," Bristle quickly said. Not interested in walking into school with Garrett, Bristle quickly rushed out. Just as she was about to reach the building, Bristle felt the light beads of water pour onto her jacket.

She ignored the thought of hooding her head and rushed inside. The cool air, that usually bothered Bristle, had no effect today. She walked to the side of the hallway and tried to keep a low profile.

All she could think about was how she was going to prove Lei's innocence. She knew this battle would come with a heavy price. No one would support her, her family would victimize themselves, and Bristle would most likely lose hope. Shooting up her head, Bristle smiled. What if she did find hope? What if she did find help-support.

With the squeak of her sneakers, Bristle turned around and searched for Michelle's locker. Even though Bristle did not keep in contact with her, did not mean she didn't know things about Michelle. Not just Michelle but all the girls.

While she was homeschooled, she use to go into every social media page she found and just find out the latest news on them. Cammi was the easiest. Though, Michelle was an open book on Facebook, Cammi was even more. She shared just about everything.

"Hey, I'm so glad I caught you." In front of Bristle stood a partially drenched Michelle. Her big smile warmed Bristle. Why did their friendship have to falter? Michelle had always been a good friend to Bristle, and yet just like that, Bristle cut off communication between them.

Bristle nodded in agreement. "Me, too."

Without so much as a notification, Michelle's free hand latched onto Bristle's wrist and guided her to a vacant area of the hallway. It was a corner accompanied by a large trash can and lost and found bin. While the trash can was empty, the lost and found bin overflowed with items. Bristle knew somewhere in that bin was misplaced trash. The bin even had a musty odor to it. There's no way she'd retrieve an item if it wound up in there.

The large windows that stood behind Michelle showcased the same rainy, depressing scenery, when Bristle first came in. Either the sky had darkened or her eyes were playing tricks on her, whatever it was Bristle did not worry too much about it like she did her current situation.

Those warm brown eyes were lit with strive and determination. Michelle even stood still in her north face rain coat and flared blue jeans. Though Bristle hadn't seen her in ages, she did know that Michelle would never leave the house without doing her hair and makeup, except today. Michelle's hair laid in a wet moppy bin, and her lips were dry of moisture. Whatever she had to say, Bristle knew it was big.

Never losing eye contact, Michelle proudly stated, "I went to see, Lei, yesterday." Eccentrically, Bristle was not stunned by the news. Out of their former free Lei pact, Michelle tried the hardest to get permission to see Lei, but her father never allowed.

"And before you decide to run off, remember our deal. We promised to free her, Bristle." Michelle added.

With a bob of her head, Bristle agreed. She swallowed down the harsh true with acceptance. She could not believe of all people, it was Michelle speaking to her in a demanding tone. "I wasn't." Due to yesterday's revelation, Bristle was reminded of what her objective should have been. Also, crying her eyes out until she found sleep kept her emotions in tact. For Lei, they had to be. She couldn't decision make, find clues, or makeup excuses with a clouded mind. Last night was well needed. Another reason reason as well-she didn't like people seeing her weak.