Her Secret Plans

Michelle rushed down the stairs into her lively kitchen. Her mother hard at work with making breakfast. Her father zanily dancing around to the music playing. Smiles were shared between her parents, genuinely happy ones. Michelle smiles at the image.

Most days her parents were quiet and ordinary, but since it was a special day, Michelle found it quite appropriate. Not everyday would be her birthday. It only happened once a year, and therefore two years ago, Michelle's parent's pledged unconditional happiness in the house. Rules were banned for the day, but nothing to the extreme.

Once her parents caught eye of her, Michelle watched as the two began singing happy birthday, some of their words were drowned out by the loud pop music going. But Michelle got the point.

When they finished, Michelle's mother turned off the stove, and gathered a plate of food. She placed two large spoons full of Seminole, baconed hominy, and two heart shaped pancakes. Michelle's favorite.

With Michelle having a Native American background as well as American, her mother either mixed the two cultures together-food wise-or she strictly stuck to one.

Michelle hastened her way to the counter, in which the plate laid. She grabbed her plate, and a glass of fruit punch, then made her way to the circle table. After sitting down, Michelle immediately dived into her delicious meal. From time to time she watched her parents prance around the kitchen.

It overjoyed Michelle that her parents are happy. She loves it when people are happy.

Her father made his way to the radio that sat in the center of their island, and shut the music off. Then after, he did he famous odd dance towards her, only stopping when he approached the table.

"What are your plans for today?" he curiously asked.

Michelle gave an insensible shrug, "Not sure yet, dad. I will be at school until four, so wherever my plans take me, I guess." Even though Michelle knew very well what her plans were for today. Her parents cannot know. No one can know. She would be in so much heat, if someone knew what she is up to.

Her mother from the side spoke in her typical formal fashion, "Perhaps we have dinner. I suppose you are not too old to still do something so ludicrous. Besides you are only seventeen."

Michelle looked over her shoulder at her mother, and grinned, "If it is so outrageous, I guess I have to kindly decline the offer, huh?"

Her father chuckled at her response, causing Michelle to smile. She faced her father and leaned forward. She watched as he lifted his thick black eyebrows in anticipation. The tiny moles, that most people confused for freckles lifted as his smile grew.

"I know that look," her father began when Michelle continued to stare, "you have plans of your own. They must be inappropriate considering you won't tell us."

Michelle's face heated at the comment. Inappropriate? No, not at all, but nerve rattling, all the way. Her parents will never understand why she is doing this, no matter how Michelle explains it.

Sitting back in the wooden chair, Michelle flipped her hair and sent him a wry smirk, "If I tell you, you cannot cancel my plans, alright?"

Before Michelle received a reply from her father, she hear the clicking sound of her mother's heels. Of course she will have a mouth full to say. Michelle inwardly rolled her eyes. This is her day, and her mother will not ruin it for a childlike tradition.

Once her mother stood at Michelle's side, her body tensed waiting for whatever objection it is her mother has to say. Slowly, she faced a disapproving mother. Turning her attention back to her father, Michelle noticed the unease in his expression.