The Incident

Michelle's POV

Michelle rolled over in her bed to check the time on her pink alarm clock that sits on her white, clean nightstand. The time read 10:24 a.m. Allowing her tense body to relax, she rolled to the middle of her twin size bed.

Michelle feared that she had overslept. Her parents did not tolerate sleeping after eleven o'clock. The reprimandation for oversleeping was chores all day. Her parents were also adamant believers in child waking themselves up. Ever since she turned ten, she had to do it.

Sitting up in bed, Michelle stretched her arms over her body, doing wild movements to get the sleep out of her. Once she was energized enough, Michelle flipped her comforter off of her, and hopped out of bed onto the soft, light brown rug.

Her uncovered toes curled in the mushy, warm rug. Looking down she bobbed her head from side to side, smiling in admiration. Not even two hours ago, Michelle had arrived home from a chilly sleepover at Bristle's.

When Michelle made it home, she invited the instant warmth of her house. Still, even after being in a warm house for two hours her body shivered.

"Wonder if they realized I was gone," Michelle said to herself as she made her way to her door. Grabbing her thick, furry, black robe off the hook of the door, she quickly wrapped it around her. To the side of her computer desk, sat three neatly lined pair of slippers. Michelle hastily slipped on her black pair, and made her way out of her room.

In the slightly more cool hallway, she noticed the house was extremely quiet. Taking a brisk sniff, she realized there was no indication of food being cooked. Michelle's parents always cooked breakfast, or at least had something prepared. Also, the house was at least filled with the sound of morning news.

Were her parents being slothful and still in bed. If that was the case, Michelle was going to enjoy handing out the ramification to her parents. She had keenly envisaged for a day like this-her whole life-well since she turned ten.

Rushing down the long, naturally lit hallway to her parents room, the third door on her right was their room. Once she was in front of their door, Michelle could not contain the excitement jolting in her.

"You guys are so..." Michelle trailed off as she scanned the honorable room. There was not a soul present. Baffled, Michelle scratched the corner of her forehead. Where could they be?

Taking a step back, Michelle shot her head in the direction of the living room. Did they know what she did, and waiting for her to fess up to it. Looking back at the hushed room, Michelle grabbed their door and silently shut it.

As she made her way to the living room, she did not realize how wrong of what she did was. It was just a harmless sleepover. Her parents had to lighten up a bit.

"Mom!" Michelle searched the kitchen. Nothing out of place, as usual as that is, it was very odd. Only time the kitchen was that spotless was right before bedtime, and when her parents first woke up.

After checking the whole house, Michelle realized neither of her parents were home. Swirling from her location in the dining room, her eyes narrowed at the front door. Did her parents just leave her home alone? As in they trust the house in her hands? Instead of feeling joy, Michelle panicked.

Quickly, Michelle rushed out of the house to confirm her theory. But outside she saw that neither of the cars were gone. Turning away from the squeaky clean cars, Michelle's attention landed on the peculiar chaos down the street.

"What on Earth is going on?" She asked, wrapping herself more into the robe. Making her way down the sidewalk, the sound of her slippers slapping against the concrete went faint, while the noise became more and more obvious.