They're Connected

Bristle huffed as she balanced her bookbag on her back. Another day of school. But unlike the others, she would be meeting with Michelle and Shelby. The information they discussed yesterday was only a scratch on the surface. There was nothing new they discovered, besides the fact of knowing their friend was innocent.

Which they knew the whole time.

Down the wooden, creaky steps, Bristle shut off the light that lit the cramped staircase. Almost out of the door, her mother called her name. Most mornings, Bristle just went about her business. Pow Wows with her mom were rare, and when they did happen, they weren't good.

Turning from the front door, she asked, "What is it?"

Tucking a chunk of hair behind her ear, Bristle's mother rose from the couch in a peach blouse and black skirt. Her mom liked to pretend like her job was as great as it wasn't. She went to school all those years, preparing to be a lawyer, only to turn out to be a manager of a clothing store.

Striding towards Bristle, her mom's face held anything but comfort. Just as Bristle expected, something was wrong. A gut feeling told her it had nothing to do with her dad, but seeing her mom's unpleased expression wasn't the solace she needed.

A sick feeling began to build up in Bristle. What if something went wrong with her dad? She couldn't have that. She couldn't take it. Bristle's hands drummed at her side. Please be something else, Bristle thought.

"So you're friends with Shelby and Michelle, again?" Her mother questioned. Immediate relief took over. That choky feeling that had began to build up instantly went away.

Bristle's eyes watered as an image of her dad smiling flashed by. He was going to be okay, she just knew it.

Shrugging, Bristle easily questioned. "What are you talking about?"

Of course her mother found out. She knew everything. Much to Bristle's surprise, there were some secrets she was oblivious about. Bristle had to sadly give thanks to Alx for that. If all went as planned, Bristle never intended on sharing those with her mom.

"You heard me, Bris." Dropping the strained look, her mother's expression switched to a collected on. "It's alright to have fiends. Have all the friends you want. But remember, those girls are damaged more than you and people talk." As if that was an underlining message. All that meant was that people in her town couldn't keep out of other's business.

Just then Alx hopped off the last step, and patted Bristle on the head. "Talk about what?" She went to her mother's side, drawing her into a hug, then staring at Bristle.

Her mom sent Bristle a smile. It was more of a smug one than genuine. "Reuniting with the fab four, would be five, but we all know why it's not. One of the nosey teachers, her name doesn't need to be known, spotted it and shot me a text this morning."

Silence wrapped around the room for a while. Bristle had to keep telling herself it wasn't worth the battle. Her mother always did nitpicking things, it was as if she yearned for a reaction. And she knew talking about Lei, she would receive it.

Clearing her throat, Bristle spoke, "Mom I-"

Alx interrupted. "I'm curious, Bris, what brought this on? Weren't you like a major introvert?"

Choosing her words carefully Bristle responded, "I just..." she trailed off staring at the two. They looked so happy and content. What bothered Bristle the most was, they looked like she was a burden on their relationship. It was as if Bristle wasn't supposed to be born in their eyes. She just wished her mother would tell her just once how much she appreciated Bristle. But that would never happen.