Secrets

"Why did I decide to take this class? Errh!" Michelle growled, then tossed her pencil on the statistics workbook. "This is going to be the death of me."

Laying back, she stared at the bland, white ceiling. A small smile crept over as she thought about her weekend. It would be different than any of the others. That weekend would change her life, she was beyond excited.

Hopping out of bed, Michelle rushed to her two door closet and swung it open. "Let's see. Should I do this," Michelle carelessly tugged her teal dress off of her hanger, and showed it to her mirror that hung in the middle of her closet.

Michelle's grip on the dress tightened as she brought her other hand to her ponytail and pulled the scrunchy out, along with a few strands. She shook her wavy hair and smiled brightly at the result. "Yes, this is perfect."

The straps of the dress were brown that were entwined like a three strand braid, which led to her fully covered back. It was appropriate, yet flashy in Michelle's eyes. Tilting her head from side to side, Michelle kept searching for the perfect angle. She then made a few faces. The date had to be perfect.

After putting the dress on her left closet door, Michelle looked to her bed and shook her head. Statistics homework will have to wait until food, she thought as she made her way into the hallway.

Typically around that time, her mom would be on her way from work, and her dad still working until late hours. Her mother was a professor at a local University and part time teacher at a community college twenty minutes away.

So when Michelle made it into the kitchen and heard hesitant whispering, she grew scared. Neither of her parents were supposed to be home at that time. In the kitchen a butter knife sat on the counter. Slowly walking to it, Michelle silently grabbed it.

What was going through her mind: was today the day someone killed her and got away with it. From all the Snapped episodes to recently speaking with Lei, she was overwhelmed with paranoia and fear. Her insides turned, while her mouth twitched at the corners. She felt as if whoever really killed Lei's family was watching her. As if the person knew. She didn't know how to explain it, except for intuition.

Around the corner, Mrs. Henson and her dad stood in close quarters discretely discussing a serious matter. A soothing rush fled her body, knowing she wasn't going to die. But curiousity did get the best of her. Why were they being so quiet?

Michelle didn't have to hear to know it was something major. Her heart rate began to increase as she eavesdropped on the conversation. What if they somehow found out about her whereabouts yesterday. If that were the case, her dad would kill her.

As Michelle tried to disfigure some of the words, Mrs. Henson's hands swung wildly at her side, and when she looked off she caught eye of Michelle. Michelle gasped in fear, then slowly made her way out.

Mrs. Henson dropped her hands to her side. "Hello, Michelle."

Michelle nervously bit her lower lip. Now was the time to see if they knew, "Hey you two."

Her dad ruffled his hair with his hand before shooting her a nervous smile. "How long have you been standing there, kiddo?"

Michelle shrugged, "For a few seconds. Look I-"

"We need your help," Mrs. Henson interrupted. Both Michelle and her dad gave her a puzzled look. Unfazed, Mrs. Henson continued, "Javon's birthday is in a few weeks, and your father and I keep arguing about what to give him. Apparently, he thinks he knows him better than...me-is that a knife?" Mrs. Henson pointed.

Looking down to her sides, Michelle had forgotten she grabbed it as a weapon. Looking back to the two, she nervously chuckled. "You two scared me half to death. Dad's supposed to be at work, and I hear talking. Tell mom she's gotten her point across, no more Snapped. You two almost gave me a heart attack." Michelle walked to the black double sided coffee table and gently placed it on the smooth surface.