Chapter fifteen

Chapter 15

Tony's POV

Santos took the lead like always, as he led us through the building. The inside was nastier then the outside. The walls falling apart. The doors dripping with water from who knows where, I'm not even sure if its even water to be honest.

"What do you think this shit hole use to be?" Jaylen whispered to Daniel.

"Looks like apartments, dude." Daniel nodded towards the doors with numbers that lined the narrow hallway. Jaylen nodded focusing back to what laid in front of him.

"Shouldn't we check for survivors?" Cory asked shaking his head to a door with a gold number. 456. I hate that number.

"You should just worry about yourself," I growled as I kept on walking and they all froze watching my back getting smaller and smaller.

"Tony!"

"Tony get back here!"

"Tones..."

I ignored all their calls and just kept walking, I don't care anymore. Life has no meaning for me so why keep torturing myself with living it?

I took a sharp right and keep following the narrow dimly lit hallway. In the distance I heard rapid footsteps. Without thinking I opened the first door to my left. I closed it quietly and I stepped back and took a look. The apartment was a decent size, but was far from appealing. The walls moldy, the carpet looked chewed with old, sandy brown furniture scattered around the living room carelessly. Walking closer to the big window on the wall straight ahead, it hit me. The most stomach-wrenching, foul-smelling, rotting stench I have ever smelled. It flew up my nostrils with such force it burned them in the process. The reeking smell was so awful I could taste it. My mouth floated around with this unknown gas tickling my tastes buds to the point I threw up all the contents that occupied space in my stomach to the side landing on the source of the smell.

There, on the floor laid a chewed up dog. Rotting away, now covered with my vomit. It looks like a baby pitbull a couple months old at most. Its whole abdomen was ripped out exposing its rib cage along with flesh full of maggots. Its white fur tinted maroon along with the carpet below it. The puddle of blood was now dried up, but the rips on the side of the dog looked fresh.

Before I could straighten up a growl echoed through the room. There in the darkness of the hallway leading to the bedrooms stood a beast with glowing red eyes dripping blood. Fuck.