#16. The key.

As I neared my bag, I heard footsteps shuffling outside. I froze. What if it was the murderer?! I had nowhere to hide...

"Open the door" shouted a voice from outside "We are police. Open up!"

I sighed and called out... "Sure wait... I'm getting to the door."

But when I walked up to the door and tried to open it, it didn't! It was locked from the outside.

"Hey! its not opening!" I called out. And I heard the handle turn a few times but the door didn't budge.

"Are you trying to cheat us?! You will be arrested as soon as we get in!!" He shouted impatiently.

"Listen man... I don't fear you... I haven't done anything wrong okay! And besides the authorities and Sir Abhilash ...er... proved my innocence!" I shouted.

"Who said so?! You were being watched! No one released you... As per Abhilash sir's orders you are being followed and your activities being noted!" He said.

Abhilash.... He did this? I can't believe it ... I trusted him so much. Why did he order so? Just as I was immersed in thoughts someone appeared at the window. It was Abhi. Hatred and tears and disappointment filled my eyes. I wanted to push him out the window.

"Hey...Nina... Come with me. Fast. There is danger." He spoke.

"No. You cheat! I will not ever listen to you." I cried.

"What's wrong with you girl?!" He asked.

The men outside started banging at the door. They tried to force open the door.

"Come on! Fast!" He called.

"No way. The police will come in and I'll get arrested. Why will that bother you?! Weren't you working for this to happen to me?! Framing me and all?!" I broke out into tears.

"What? Police? No... Nina the truth is... I am not CBI. And those people outside are not police!" He said.

There was dead silence.

"Eh?" I expressed. My tears stopped.

"Yes. I am Saayudh's brother... Illegal brother. But Saayudh doesn't know I exist! It was my duty to protect Saasha lest Saayudh harms her. I joined the college along with her so I can stay alongside her... But now she's gone.... And I need to find out the killer and get revenge.Please help me Nina..please!" He explained.

"Ah...okay....but.." I started when a gunshot made a hole in the middle of the door and more gunshots followed. Without second thought I grabbed his hand, my mystery bag and jumped out the window! Abhi had a bike parked at the hind of the house and we drove off before anyone could notice us.

"Hey... Didn't you try to get the death notes left by your brother?" I asked.

"No... The key to his door was with you...and I never tried the window as the house was under full security. Since yesterday the police have been engaged in the security of the visiting Prime Minister..." He said.

"Wait...the key was with me?" I quizzed. "What key?"

"The pendant." He replied.