#4. Besties.

The smell of coffee....the most nauseating smell I have faced. I don't drink coffee or tea and my mother says its a good habit. Saasha by now had taken two coffees already and was deciding whether she should take a third.... And me on the other hand was staring at her empty cups that she had placed in front of me.
Saayudh was stirring his already cold coffee and was staring at me often smiling as our eyes caught each other's. I felt totally sane.... In fact I felt I was the only sane being in our table. I can't believe we had already exchanged numbers.

"I will make a toss!"said Saasha and flipped a coin into the air. She caught it gracefully and said "yea...I'll go get a coffee."

"But u didn't even see if it was head or tails!" I exclaimed.

"I already decided I want a coffee."she replied and skipped to the cash counter.

Now it was completely awkward. It was me staring at the 2 empty cups and him staring at me. Just us. I pretended to play with my kurti's edge and was swinging my legs and pretended to concentrate on what I was doing...even though it is not going to change the society or me...OR even him.

"So... You are from Chennai...do you like Chennai better or Bangalore?"he broke the silence.

"Chennai." I blatantly answered.

"What colour do you like? I hope its red?"

"No. I hate red...I ..err...err... like... violet! Yea ..yea...violet." I said on purpose. But red was one of my favourites.

"Do u like cars or bikes?"

"Neither. I like to walk." But I dream of driving a car one day...

"You don't seem to be my kind... Lol... We seem like opposites." he said. And it was the most sensible remark he has made up to now. I was overjoyed he understood how I feel at least now....but he broke my happiness when he said "oh but only opposite poles attract!" And he winked. Boom! My heart burst.

Saasha came back with her coffee finally and I was glad. She kept chattering for the rest of the time we spent there. I did not know Saayudh but I did not like him.

After a long struggle I managed to hook off Saayudh from our further plans and we headed to our hostel. Geez. I hope I don't meet more people like him. As the sun set to sleep, I did too.

The morning sun was soaring and Saasha and I were walking to lecture hall. I tried hiding myself behind trees and bushes to get to the hall fearing Saayudh might turn up. With relief I entered the hall and took the second last row next to the window. The lecture started soon. And 67 was absent. Bunking college from day 1. Weirdo. I bet he was going to come back with a broken nose. We had physiology practicals soon and they handed out our records. We were asked to bring our prickers next pracs which is evidently a week from now...

'Ping' went my mobile. It was a WhatsApp message. A new group called '$$Π' popped up on my chat list. And Saasha was waving to me from across the table giggling. I opened the group to view the participants. What I saw next gave me a heart attack. It said 'group created by Saasha_FMU' and participants list read..... 'Saasha_FMU, Alien_FMU, you.' Evidently 'Alien' was Saayudh. And I was going to cripple. Saasha was happy and showed me a thumbs up. Thumbs up for YOU...I thought. Untimely excitement. Very much her.

"Hi..what's this?"messaged Saayudh.

"Our besties grooouuppp!!! Ta-da!"texted back Saasha.

I was the spectator. I turned off my mobile data and put my head down. Could a happy story have a more tragic ending?!