Chapter 20: Is she really okay?

Start from the beginning

"We missed you," Erica said as they all backed up, to give me my personal space. I looked around the room and saw that everyone was here except Louis.

"Where's Louis?" I asked.

"We can't get him to leave his room," Harry said sadly. "For some reason he's been worse today then he was before."

"Oh" I said. "Sorry." I thought I should apologize to Louis so I walked up the stairs and knocked on his door, that was at the end of the hall.

"Louis?" I said through the door. "Can I come in?" I didn't hear anything so I cautiously opened the door and looked in. Louis was in his bed under a pile of blankets. I could see he had been crying. This was my fault. I walked over to him.

"Hi Caitlyn," he said, not actually looking at me.

"I'm so sorry Louis," I responded. Then he finally looked up at me.

"Why?" he asked. "You didn't do anything wrong"

"Yes I did. It's my fault all of this happened."

"Stop blaming yourself. If anything it's my fault. After all, it's my job to take care of her. And now she's missing her birthday because of it." Wait what? Birthday?

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It's her birthday today." Oh now I get it. That's why he has been "worse" today.

"If it makes you feel any better," I said honestly. "She doesn't care at all about her birthday."

"Why not?" he asked.

"She said once that if you care about something you only end up getting hurt. So she forces herself not to care." Just then Louis' phone started ringing. He looked at the caller ID and he immediately picked up.

"Hello?" he said. "Did anything happen with Avery?" Oh. It must be the hospital. Gotcha.

"Really?" he said excitedly. "I'll be right there!"

Avery's POV

I'm sick of listening to people talking and not being able to say anything. I'm sick of being a prisoner in my own mind. I try for the millionth time to open my eyes, and I do it. Wait a minute... I did it! Hahahahaha! I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Haha! I can open my eyes. Can I move my arms? Wait for it..... Yay! I can!

I knew from what I had heard people saying that I was in the hospital. Although I could have figured it out anyway because I have been here so many times that I know the feeling of the lumpy pillows by heart. Lets see. What to do now. I don't feel like calling the workers just yet. I don't want to go the rehab center yet. Ooh! There's a note. I stood up to go get it, well, tried to. I fell immediately though. My feet are asleep. Of course they are Avery. You've been lying down for weeks. Shut up brain. I didn't invite you into this mental conversation. Conversation with who? You're by yourself. Did you not hear me? I said shut up.

I sat down on the floor because I'm too lazy to go back to the bed and punched my legs a couple times to try to get them to wake up. It didn't work. I rolled across the floor to where the note it and then started reading it. It was from Charlie Walker. The man who was fostering me a couple years ago. I kind of miss him and his twin sons. Their names are Owen and Justin and they're a year older than me

Dear Avery,

Happy early birthday sweetheart.

I know I'm not your legal father anymore, but I still think of you as my daughter. Because of that, I have divorced my wife so she can't hurt you anymore.