Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Liz's POV

The next couple of weeks were a big blur to me. All my time was spent on working on re-writing the play we had chosen, holding auditions for the roles, getting permission to hold the event at a local theater, building props and scenery for the stage, buying the characters wardrobe and rehearsing non-stop. I was physically and emotionally drained, but I would not give myself time to breathe until it was all done and over; which was tonight –thankfully. 

"Final rehearsal is over, people. It is officially too late for anyone to back out" I announced. Some of them chuckled at my statement, but then they spread out. Today had been insane, and I couldn't wait for the play in a few hours. Luckily I did have time to go home and take a shower before I come back to make sure everything is ready. 

"It's going to be great!" Blake came towards me and enveloped me in a hug. I smiled.

"You think so?" I asked doubtfully.

"I know so. You will be the best Cinderella in history" He said with a wink. I laughed and hit his arm playfully.

"I really hope so..." I said with a sigh.

"Stop worrying that pretty head of yours, you will be great. Plus, Nick will be there being your Prince Charming and all that, so you won't be alone" Blake reassured.

"I still think you should've played a character" I said grudgingly.

"Me? Naw, I would make a fool of myself. I like being the narrator; I get to use my sexy radio talk host voice" I laughed at Blake's deep husky voice that he used while saying that. 

"You're such an idiot" I said while shaking my head and smiling.

"But I'm your" I cut him off.

"Yes, you are my idiot" I finished for him.

Blake grinned and came in for another hug.

                 *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

The lights were off. The large red curtain closed; hiding my presence from the audience. I was nervous. No, that's an understatement, but I couldn't find a more appropriate word to describe how I'm feeling. Oh, well, I could say I felt like pooping my pants, that works right?

I started taking deep breaths while I waited for Blake to start narrating the story. 

But that never happened. Instead Nick's voice boomed from the speakers and echoed through the theaters walls. 

"Once upon a time there lived a beautiful young girl named Cinderella. She never had the pleasure of meeting her mother, because this one died while giving birth to her. When Cinderella was still young in age, her father had accidentally met an interestingly delightful woman, at least that's what she appeared to be. Fooled by the wretched woman, Cinderella's father married the widow and with their marriage besides a stepmother, Cinderella also gained a pair of step sisters. Her stepmother didn't like her one bit; she never did. But while Cinderella's father lived, she pretended to be the loving mother that Cinderella needed. Unfortunately, Cinderella's courageous father passed away one stormy night, and Cinderella's life changed forever. Her step mother showed her true self, and it wasn't pretty at all. Any kind thoughts and loving touches were for her own ugly and cruel daughters. Nothing was too good for them - dresses, shoes, delicious food, soft beds, and every home comfort she would provide for them. But for the poor unhappy recently orphaned girl, there was nothing at all. No dresses; only her step sisters’ hand-me-downs. No lovely dishes; nothing but scraps. No rest and no comfort. She had to work hard all day, settling for being her new family’s servant because she had nothing in life anymore. Only when evening came was she allowed to sit for a while by the fire, near the cinders. That’s why everybody called her Cinderella” Nick ranted.