Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Nick's POV

Worry was a strain in my thoughts. It had been really hard ending my phone call with Joe, but I felt like it was not appropriate to spend too long on a phone that wasn't even mine. Nonetheless I was grateful to Carlos, Liz and God himself for permitting me a quick chat with my brother and best friend.

Unfortunately when I was done and went on a quest to find Liz and return her mobile device, she was nowhere to be found. I had looked in every room in the house; some that I had never visited and some that I had; like the trophy room --I still had yet to learn the story behind that one-- and I couldn't find Liz. It was my deep gut wrenching concern that had me searching Blake's number through Liz's contacts. He had answer pretty quickly but had been confused when he realized it was me. After explaining the situation he had sighed deeply and told me he knew where she could be and to not worry, that she knew how to take care of herself. 

Honestly, I took his advice and relaxed. Liz had lived here her whole life, I'm sure she knows how to handle herself. But even telling myself all this, the worry didn't disappear completely and I wondered to myself, how much I was starting to care about this girl. 

I waited anxiously for her return, and when she finally did come through her front door, the sun was already rising on the horizon. 

"Liz" I couldn't keep the relief out of my voice, I was going to add something else but whatever it was, died on my throat once I saw Blake arriving right after her.

"Why are you up?" Liz asked, slightly bewildered.

I was hesitant to answer that question. If Blake weren't here I would have been completely honest but since he was, I didn't want to sound like a complete love struck idiot. 

I let my gaze fall for a second before it found hers again. 

"I just wanted to make sure you made it back alright. I'll be going to get some sleep now" my voice sounded hushed and soft in volume. I couldn't do anything about it. The way she was looking at me only made me feel more foolish. 

I didn't even bother walking past both unspeaking friends who apparently had nothing to say to me, and I started ascending the stairs so I could lock myself in my room. That was my plan, but Liz's words stopped me.

"Nick, wait. We need to talk" as soon as I hear the words, I knew I hated them. Nothing good ever came after that line. Anyways, I still turned around to face her. Blake gave me a sympathetic look, only confirming that this was going to be bad. 

"I'll let you guys talk, I'm gonna crash in your bed and you can take the couch" Blake said this jokingly at Liz and she snorted.

"Not gonna happen buddy, not in a billion years. No one sleeps in my bed except me, you know that. Crash in dad's room, I'm sure he doesn't mind, you're practically his son" Blake grinned at this and nodded in agreement to her statement.

"I'm sure you're right, but if I get in trouble I'll blame you" after a chuckle from him and a smile from Liz, Blake announced his departure. When he was walking past me to go down the hall --where Carlos' room was-- he wished me good luck. I found myself taking a deep breath before pushing my hand in my pockets.

Once he was gone Liz sobered up, her smile disappearing  from her face. Again, not good.

"Wanna take a walk?" she asked deliberately. I nodded without saying a word and followed her outside. 

The Sun was already shining modestly, it wasn't incredibly bright though because it still hadn't completely arisen, but soon we would be able to see and feel the magnitude of its magnificence.