Chapter 5

Liz's POV

A couple of days had passed since Nick arrived at our home. He was still as closed off as in the beginning but he wasn't being a complete jerk the whole time; which I appreciated because I think I might have slapped some sense into him if he kept it up.

I had-- I don't know how-- talked him into letting me give him surfing lessons today which is why he was all geared up and ready to go while I led the way out into the beach, quietly may I add.

"Are you alright?" he asked while we walked side by side, surfboards in hands, stepping on warm golden sand.

"Fine" I answered shortly. I didn't use an angry tone or anything, it was just plainly said. 

"It's a fact that at least 99% of the people that say they're fine are actually lying and definitely not fine" he commented in a matter of fact tone that really bothered me.

"Since when are you such a smartass?" I questioned.

"Since I was born" he replied without missing a beat. I looked sideways at him and there was ghost of a smile in his lips. Then before I could look away, he glanced my way and caught me staring. Too late I looked away, a blush creeping up in my face. 

"You do that a lot" he said softly, almost if debating if he should have said it or not.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Blush. You do it a lot. Almost everytime I look at you" he stated boldly. 

Crap, he noticed. 

"So what's your point?" I asked slightly annoyed but more at myself than him-- not that he would know the difference.

"Uh nothing, I'm just letting you know that you do it often. If we were friends and actually got along I would find it endearing" and with that he marched ahead of me by himself, leaving me behind turning a brighter red than I had ever been in possibly my whole life.

What the hell does that even mean? Why do I react this way to this guy? He's a jerk!

I stomped after him, deciding not to over-think stuff. That's when people come to stupid conclusions or make stupid mistakes. Something I'm not fond of. 

Once we neared the ocean, I watched as Nick walked closer but now slower, almost as if unsure. Probably having second thoughts about the whole surfing thing.

"I wouldn't blame you if you changed your mind. Surfing it's not for everyone. Surfing it's for the daring. The adventurous".

"You saying I'm not daring or adventurous?" he questioned, looking back at me with an arched eyebrow.   

Is it bad that I thought it looked kind of sexy? The expression I mean.

What am I thinking?!

"Uh, I'm not saying that at all. You just don't look like the type of person who likes 'the rush'. Having adrenaline coursing through your veins, while you feel like you're on top of the world and there's nothing you can't do" I bit my lip after saying that just because he got this far away look, almost as if going back to a good memory. Then he was back and smirked. 

"You don't know anything about me. You might be surprised at what I could do" then he got in the water without any hesitation.

I was left there wondering what on earth could he mean by that; then I snapped myself into reality and followed him into the water. I was going to teach him how to surf; at least that's what I had planned.

Nick's POV

I was not trying to annoy her when I told her about her blushing, I really wasn't. It kind of just slipped; and once it was out well there was nothing I could say to take it back so I just kept my cool. I didn't have to look at her to know she'd be blushing intensely after this. The thought made me smile.