Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Nick's POV

After having breakfast and talking to Blake, I had intended on taking a nap since I didn't get much sleep the night before. Unfortunately for me, my brain was in overdrive. There were so many stuff circling my thoughts... but mainly, the memory of Liz's soft lips against mine. As much as I kept shutting my eyes really hard, trying to keep the images away, I couldn't. Her brown eyes were all I saw, while my mind replayed the scene where I kissed her; and when she kissed me back, without protest.

A soft knock on my door forced me to open my eyes. A smile clung to my lips in anticipation. I pushed myself off the bed and walked directly to the bedroom door. Grabbing the latch, I turned it and pulled the door open. The smile on my lips turned to a wide grin, and I watched as her mouth turned upward in a beaming smile. Suddenly and unexpectedly, my heart rate picked up its rate, and with that, I felt my face turning hotter. Oh God.

"You alright?" she asked, still smiling.

I nodded nervously.

Why am I reacting this way? This never happened before when I was around her. It was usually her who was nervous around me...

"I-I'm fine" I stuttered. I bit my lip and avoided eye contact. Okay, Nick. Pull yourself together. I took a deep breath and found her questioning eyes.

"I'm fine" I said, this time relaxing enough for my smile to return. She nodded, satisfied that I sounded more like myself.

"So, um, I was wondering if you wanted to do something today? You know, because it's super boring here and, yeah" she finished the sentence awkwardly and I chuckled.

"I would lov-" but my reply was interrupted by a familiar voice calling out for Liz. We both looked at the staircase, where Blake appeared a few moments later.

"What's up?" Liz asked, when he came into our view. Blake took a moment to catch his breath, probably because he ran up the stairs.

"Our boss called, he wants you to go work today" he said after his breathing was back to normal. I heard Liz groan.

"Seriously?" she asked.

"Seriously" Blake stated.

Liz huffed and then turned to me, "I'm sorry. I'm gonna have to go" she said apologetically.

"It's alright, we can hang out after you get back if you're not too tired" I suggested.

"Yeah, we can do that" she said holding back a smile.

Blake cleared his throat.

Right.

"See you later, then" I said awkwardly, I might have kissed her if Blake weren't standing a couple of feet away, watching us.

"See ya" she replied before she turned to leave. Blake walked closer to me and smiled.

"Guess it's only you and me today, buddy" he said enthusiastically. I held back from rolling my eyes.

Oh the joy!

I still wasn't exactly buying the whole friendly act, but I wasn't going to be rude.

Blake's POV

I could tell that Nick wasn't thrilled about having to hang out with me instead of Liz, but hey, he had to get over it. After seeing both of them getting all cozy this morning, I knew I had to step in. Liz was clearly not going to back away like she had declared, who knows what the goody popstar told her to make Liz change her mind. But it doesn't matter, I will always be here to look after her. Which is why I told the captain that Liz needed a side assignment, while I worked on this one. That's why he called for her; he will be assigning her another case. That should keep her busy for a while.... and away from Nick.

I know, I know. I'm a freaking genius.

I was sitting on the front porch of Liz's house when Nick walked out the door, with his new surfing gear on.

"Ready?" I asked.

Nick nodded slowly, almost as if debating if he was in fact ready. I held back a laugh. He was looking pale and a bit scared, an expression I had never seen him wear before until now.

"Why do you look so terrified?" I ask, not being able to stop myself from blurting the question.

Nick's eyes found mine and held them.

"I almost died the last time I went surfing and right now... all I can envision are scenes of you finishing the job" he said.

I literally couldn't contain my fit of laughter, and after a while Nick joined me. It took us both quite a while to stop laughing.

"You're a funny guy, I'll give you that" I said patting his back when he walked past me with his surfboard.

After my comment he looked back at me with a grin, "I wasn't joking".

I chuckled at that.

"If I wanted you dead, I'm sure I could think of something more creative then drowning you while I teach you how to surf" I said nonchalantly while leading the way for him to follow.

_______________________________________________________

You never know what the future may hold. People come in and out of your life. Love can dry out and die. But real friends will never leave you behind.

-Lizmariely (I wrote this lol)

_______________________________________________________

A/N: It's short because I wrote it in a rush. I only got a few days left in Puerto Rico and I will be out with friends and nowhere near a computer. Next week stuff will be back to normal, I promise! So what do you guys think? Please let me know if there's something that you guys would like to see (or in this case read) in the story. I'm open to suggestions ;)