Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Blake's POV

I lived in one of the huts down the wooden bridge. It was pretty close to Liz's house, which is why I practically lived there anyways. I think I spend more time in her house than I did in mine. I think it's because of all the memories that hit me like a brick wall everytime I'm home. My mother left my dad and I when I was seven. She thought she wasn't a good mother. She proved she wasn't the night she left. 

My father was devastated. Heartbroken. If it weren't for the fact that he had me to take care of, he might have given up. But he didn't. He pulled himself together and did what needed to be done for us to have some type of resemblance of a normal life.

I loved him over my own life.

He died two years ago. I was 19 at the time. He was coming home from work, but some drunken dude lost control of the wheel and hit my dad's car, sent him reeling down a hill.  I was hanging out with Liz at the beach when her father came and told me the news. The car had exploded before my father could get out. His death was instant, too fast to feel pain. I thought I would have died right along with him... but Liz was there. She had kept me alive; like a guardian angel. We have been best friends since we were kids. Our parents had been friends. Her mother died when she was ten. Cancer. I had been there for her, I was two years older than her so I felt the need to protect her; like if she were my own sister. 

But after my father's accident, everything changed. I changed. I no longer saw her as my baby sister... not even close.

Even before all of this, we were playful and kind of flirty to the other. It was all a game. Especially because our parents always joked about how we would end up falling in love with each other. It wasn't just our parents, but anyone who saw us together, you know how people are. 

But like I said, after my father died, it all changed. She kept me alive. My feelings for her changed. There were no games anymore. Last year, before her birthday I was making fun of her... telling her she didn't have half the guts that I did to do stuff. She was offended of course, there was nothing tame about Liz, she was wild at heart. She asked me what she had to do to show me she had guts. I didn't hesitate when I told her to kiss me. She rose an eyebrow. I shrugged my shoulders and told her she didn't have to do it if she didn't have the nerve to do it. She snorted, then smiled. She walked up to me, rose a bit to reach my face and kissed me. 

It was a simple kiss, but it awakened something deep within me that shook me. I had to leave, not knowing how to make sense of what I was feeling. Liz was my best friend, I couldn't feel that way about her... but why had I felt like kissing her in such a way that we would both forget everything except for each other?

After that night, nothing was the same between us. We never talked about it, but I know it was something in the back of our minds everytime we were together. 

I didn't have the courage to ask her if she felt something, and even less courage to tell her how I felt about her. 

One year later, and I'm still on the same situation. But now with this Nick guy here, I don't know. I don't hate the guy. He's alright. But the way he looks at Liz, and the way she looks at him... it twists my insides and I just want to yell or shout, or something!

Now we had that stupid mission to protect him, and Liz has to get "close" to him. The thought of it made me sick to my stomach.

I knew I was just being stupid and jealous  but I couldn't help it. There weren't two Liz's in the world. I didn't want to lose her to a guy that had come out of nowhere. Though technically Liz wasn't mine for me to lose her, I felt like she was part of me and if she fell in love with Nick or any other guy, I might not be able to handle it.

I stared up at the ceiling, puffing out my pillow in the process  I didn't think I would get any sleep tonight. All the thoughts in my mind would make that pretty much impossible.

Nick's POV

I was laying in bed. I had been staring at the ceiling for the past hour, but sleep escaped me. No matter how much I tried, my eyes stayed unblinking and I was wide awake.

I had left the window open, and the wind was blowing softly but enough to make the white curtains flow in the air, making it look like they had a life of their own. 

The wind also brought to me the salty smell of the ocean and I felt compelled to savor it more. I stood up slowly, making sure not to make any sudden movements-- which is when the dizziness hits me. 

My feet padded against the tiled floor and I pushed the curtains aside to take in the view of the night. 

Stars filled the sky like scattered embers of a dying fire, while the moon hid shyly away behind dark rain clouds. It would probably rain during the night. The thought comforted me; I felt like I could relate more to the rain than I could to a sunny day. 

I missed my family. I missed them so much that it physically hurts. I feel like someone punctured my heart and left me here to bleed out and die.  

I didn't feel like myself, and Liz, her dad and Blake wouldn't know the difference because they don't know me. But I'm not the same person I once were. It's only been a few days and I've become someone else. I didn't meant to. I didn't plan it. It just happened.

I always believed I had never taken anything for granted, but I was wrong. So, horribly wrong...

I sighed heavily, took one more look at the deceptively calm ocean at the horizon and stepped away from the window. 

I wonder if Liz is sleeping. I shook my head and the thought.

What's wrong with me? What do I care if she's awake or not? I rolled my eyes at myself while I took the guitar from the chair. I sat down on the bed and started strumming it, and humming "A Little Bit Longer".

Maybe I would be alright someday. Maybe this hole in my chest would be filled. Maybe...

____________________________________________

"But you don't know what you got 'til it's gone

And you don't know what it's like to feel so low

And everytime you smile you laugh you glow

You don't even know" -Nick Jonas "A Little Bit Longer"

_____________________________________________

A/N: So what's on your mind guys??? Oh and the guy on the gif (at the right side of the page) it's Blake (Nick Roux) . That's from the ABC tv show he used to be in "Jane by Design". I might take a lot of gifs from that show because Liz and Blake's friendship it's a lot like the one Jane and Billy had on the show, just letting you know :) If you didn't see the show, don't do it. You'll be heartbroken over the fact that there's only 1 season and we'll never see Jilly together even though they are perfect for each other :( Okay, got sidetracked lol sorry! Feedback please??