Chapter 3

Nick's POV

I followed Liz and Blake because I knew I had no other choice.

They had stopped at this weird room where glass cases protected big, shiny gold trophies. Liz walked through the maze of surfing gear and picked up a white-orange surfboard that was resting against the wall across the room. I let my gaze explore the room but nothing held my attention for long, so I went back to watching Liz. She was already heading my way. Blake had disappeared and I found myself wondering where he was.

"Stop staring at me" she accused while her finger poked my chest. I said nothing and she rolled her eyes, annoyed. 

"Let's go, Blake must be waiting" she muttered.

She walked out of the room, surfboard at hand and I followed. Once we were out of her house she closed the door behind us and then we walked side by side. I stared at the ground, well, the golden sand below our feet and frowned.

"What's up with those trophies?" I asked. I cursed inwardly. Why am I asking questions? I don't care.

"None of your business" she responded. But of course that only peaked at my curiosity. 

"What? Are you like a surf champion or something?" I pushed.

"No" she said dryly and that was the end of the conversation.

"How come you didn't know you're in Madagascar?" she asked. 

"None of your business" I replied, my mouth quirking at the side in a half smile. She grunted.

"Whatever, jerk" she said quietly.

"What?" I asked, a frown creasing on my forehead.

"I said, look there's Blake". She changed the subject and I decided to drop it as well. 

We met with Blake who was already ready to get in the water. I eyed Liz.

"I don't know much about surfing but aren't you a little over dressed?" I asked. She was wearing a white button up shirt and skinny jeans. 

"That can be fixed in a second can't it?" she asked with an arched eyebrow. She then proceeded to unbutton her shirt. I was trying real hard not to stare but she was holding my gaze in a challenge and I was frozen. To my relief she was wearing a red bathing suit under her clothes which I discovered after she had undressed. I was not staring, I swear!

"See, nothing that can't be fixed" then she pushed past me with surfboard in hand and got in the water.

Blake grinned.

"She's a ball of sunshine isn't she?" I asked, for some reason, frustrated at what just happened.

"Sunshine? More like a ball of blazing wild fire. I'm sure you'll have your hands full during your stay. She doesn't take arrogance lightly, and you my friend have showed more than a nice share of it" he didn't even let me defend myself before he had ran off to get in the water as well.

Arrogance? Me?

I rolled my eyes.

I don't care what they think anyways. 

I looked around but the beach was pretty empty so I sat down. The rays of sun spread over the sand making it shine like gold glitter had been spilled on the ground. The day was beautiful, and the ocean was crystal clear. But I couldn't enjoy this paradise. Not when I had no loved one to share it with.

"My mom would have loved this place" I said to myself. Honestly, my whole family would have loved this place. They love tropical places. That's why we always go on vacations to the Bahamas or places like it. 

I was deep in thought, nostalgia hitting me like a dozen bricks but I still saw what happened next. This huge wave, maybe twenty-thirty feet tall started lifting up. I saw Liz and Blake paddling to try to catch it, but Liz stopped after a few moments. Blake didn't. He was taller so he had longer legs, he paddled faster, hoping to catch the wave. I stared in awe as he lifted himself on his board and rode that wave with such grace and precision. It almost seemed like he was trying to do the impossible; taming the ocean.

I had never seen anything like it. There were moments when I thought the wave would swallow him up in it's depth but he always came out. He surfed the wave until it died down on the shore. He was laughing and smiling and for a second, jealousy hit me so hard I felt nauseous. 

He was happy. He had everything that he needed to live in this island. He was complete. That was all I could ever dream for now. 

And even though it was not his fault that he was happy and I wasn't... I hated him for it.