Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Nick's POV

"Mom! Dad!" I yelled for them and a hurling scream followed. They were hurting them! "Please, please don't harm them. I'm here, hurt me instead I beg of you!" But no one ever answered.

I was startled back into consciousness before the nightmare could continue and I couldn't be more grateful. I didn't want to meet the end of that horrible dream. I had been right about this nightmare haunting me from now on...

My eyes fluttered open and I was met by a very concerned Liz. 

She was holding my arm tightly while trying to wake me up. Once she realized I was awake she quickly loosened her grip and then let go of my arm; leaving the warmth of her touch lingering on my skin.

I tried to get up but as soon as I lifted my head up from the pillow the throbbing in my head became more like pain and after a groan left my mouth, I rested my head on the pillow once again. 

"Don't try to get up, alright? It's the hit you got in the head yesterday. The doctor came to check you out, told us to be careful with a concussion" her voice was oh so gentle and I closed my eyes at her tone.

"Wait! What do you mean yesterday? It's been a full day?" I questioned, opening my eyes to watch her reaction.

"You lost consciousness when we were climbing up the stairs yesterday, then Blake came to help me carry you up here and we called the doctor" she said.

I didn't reply.

I lost a full day unconscious. I was not happy about that.  

An uncomfortable silence stretched between us until she spoke up.

"You were having a nightmare... about your family, weren't you?" she asked softly. 

I sighed and nodded my head.

"It's just a bad dream" she said soothingly. I huffed.

"I'm not a little kid that you have to comfort after a nightmare. Whatever this is, it's mine to bear and mine alone. It doesn't feel like a dream, it feels like a premonition and I... I couldn't bear it if something ever happened to them. They're my everything..." I trailed off. Why was I telling her all this? It's none of her business. 

I saw her face close in concentration and then she looked up at me.

"You're right. It is your stuff, your problem and I'm no one to try and give my opinion on something I know nothing about. I don't know anything about you or your family so as far as I know they could live a very dangerous life and that's why you're worried, because you're so far away and wouldn't be able to help them if something did happen. But let's put it like this: You cannot live in fear, you cannot always be expecting the worst to happen... Sometimes a little faith goes a long way. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you're a spiritual/religious guy. I saw your bible and you always wear that cross around your neck so if you really believe in that God of yours, then leave it up to him to care for your family. Let him take care of your worries, or you will never be able to be happy".

Once she finished, a sense of shame filled me. She was right of course. I always did have a very strong faith. God is and will always be an important part of my life. I guess, after the stuff that have happened lately... it slipped my mind. Now my shame turned into guilt. A good Christian doesn't forget about God and all his blessings when things go bad...

Liz's POV

I don't think I could have said something more hurtful to his being than reminding him to stick to his faith. I knew it as soon as I said it and watched guilt change his whole expression. 

"I'm sorry. You are right, it's none of my business. I'm gonna go now... if you need anything just let me know alright?" I didn't wait to hear his reply, I was already walking out the door but I bumped into my best friend, Blake. 

"Liz!" he yelled full of excitement.

"What?" I groaned. 

"Look what I found..." He grabbed something that was leaning against the outside wall of the room and showed me. It was the yellow surfboard Nick had been using yesterday.

"Tides brought it back?" I questioned. He nodded vigorously. 

He pushed past me and walked in the room without another word.

"Look dude. It's almost unscathed! I came as soon as I found it because yesterday you were so concerned over losing it" Blake told Nick. 

I did an inward "Aww" for Blake being so sweet and thinking of Nick's peace of mind.

Nick tried to push himself up but after a grunt he laid down once again.

"It's fine man, I just came to show you. You need to rest for now" Blake advised.

"Yeah, I know" Nick replied slowly.

"Well, I'm leaving now. Liz and I gotta go to work.... unless she's taking the day off?" Blake looked back at me and I shook my head.

"No, I'm working. Nick the phone is on the night stand on the other side of your bed, if you need anything just call me. The number is saved already" Nick nodded once his understanding.

Blake was walking out already but Nick's words stopped him.

"Thanks, dude" he said.

Blake looked back with a grin, "No biggie" and then he walked out.

"Well, I'm leaving too. Our boss is a jerk, and hates when we're late" I mumbled. I turned around but Nick talked again.

"You were right about all that you said... thanks for reminding me".

I didn't dare look back, and I had nothing to say that wouldn't sound like "ha, I told you so" so I didn't say anything and left.

On my way to work all I could think about was Nick. I had never met such a complicated guy before. That's saying a lot because my best friend is a mess and my dad is super mysterious and contradictory. 

There was a big part of me in my unconscious that wanted to figure out the enigma that was this so called Nick.

-------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Guys, I know it is super boring right now but I promise it'll get really good! I just hate when stuff happen really fast. I like slow-paced stories. But anyways, thanks for reading and don't hesitate on letting me know what you think :)

Oh and there is a picture of Blake (Nick Roux) on the side if you didn't see it!