Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Nick's POV

I was not afraid of surfing and I was not afraid of the ocean. I was though, slightly concerned for my safety. That does not make me a coward! I almost drowned and got a concussion the last time I was in the water. I think the reason why I'm so worried now is because last time I was with Liz, I knew she wouldn't let anything happen to me, but Blake... well, I felt like as if he wouldn't lift a finger if my life were in danger. Who knows? Maybe that's just me being paranoid. 

I truly hesitated for a moment before I followed him into the water; surfboard in hands. He had provided me the same yellow board I had used the last time; the one he had salvaged when the currents brought it back to shore when I had thought it was lost forever. 

I didn't know if he gave it to me to ease my nerves because of its familiarity or to put me more on edge because it reminded me of what happened last time. Then again, like I said before, it could just be me being paranoid.

"Ease up, Nick. You're gonna be fine" Blake reassured. A smile clung to his lips while he watched me carefully.

I took a deep breath and nodded.

"I'm fine" I stated. I think I said it more to reassure myself then Blake; though it worked both ways. 

"Of course you are. Nothing is going to happen to you on my watch, buddy. Liz would kill me if it did" at the mention of Liz's name I relaxed. It was weird, my body physically reacted to the sound of her name. She was becoming my safety net, one I was beginning to use to feel secure and whole. 

It was through that realization that I noticed how I wasn't moping around and being miserable because my family isn't here with me anymore. That was all Liz. She was growing to be someone really important to me, not just a distraction, but something more... meaningful to me. I was starting to care deeply for her. Part of me was intimidated by the growing feelings, the other part felt at peace. As if this is all I want and need at the moment; and it might be the case, I just don't want to jump head first and end up hurt or hurting her. I wouldn't forgive myself if that ever happened. 

"Nick, buddy. If you don't want a repetition of what happened last time, I'm going to need you to focus, alright?" Blake's words brought me to the here and now.

I nodded my understanding, and his mouth turned into a half smile. I could never figure him out and he must have known this because he winked as if he could read my mind. I shook my head and thoughts and focused on the task at hand.

"Alright, you're the teacher, so... teach me" I said, while seating on the yellow surfboard; one leg on each side.

Blake closed his eyes, you could see him breathing in the smell of the ocean. His shoulders slumped and relaxed the more deep breaths he took. Then he talked; his voice taking a tremulous tone, probably out of contained excitement. It was almost as if someone completely different was in front of me.

"Think about surfing as if it were your life" he said.

His eyes were still closed and even though he wasn't looking at me, I raised an eyebrow at his statement. I was very interested in knowing where he was going with this.

"Your life may seem a certain way in someone else's point of view, just like you might feel other people's lives are easier compared to yours. But in reality living life is hard for everyone; we all have our own struggles. Right?"

I nodded but remembered his eyes were still closed.

"Yes" I responded.

"Good. Now what did I just tell you?" he asked calmly.